thinking fixie...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alfa GT

Hi All

I have an uncontrollable urge to spend money so looking to get a fixie for no other reason than I want one! I have very little need for it but I have convinced myself now and can't back down! I want to spend £100 - £200 max. What should I do:

1. buy a very cheap new bike
2. buy a fixie off ebay/gumtree/local ads
3. buy a decent bike off ebay/gumtree/local ads and convert to fixie

How easy would it be to convert a decent bike to a fixie? I've seen a 2011 Specialized Tricross local to me that looks pretty good and only £100. Would that be a bike fit for converting?

Cheers
Ad

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
CRC are having a clear out of (what appears) to be their entire Fixie stock

All about the £250 mark though you can get £10 off with the Promo code, plus cashback as well at Quidco

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If you're buying to convert you need an older frame with forward-facing long dropouts (or track-ends if you're not fussy).

Threevok

Single speed is different, as it uses a freewheel (like a normal geared bike) but frame the requirements for conversion are the same.

Chain tension being the main obstacle. There are several ways to overcome this though

OP
OP
Alfa GT

Alfa GT

Ok good to know. I can potentially get hold of a 90's Dawes Giro so maybe that would be a better bet for the conversion as it should have the correct type of frame.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Great I'll have a look and see if I can stretch to it. I do quite like the idea of converting an old bike though. I actually think I mean that I would like to convert it to singlespeed rather than a fixie. I'm not up with the terminology! Does that make a difference to what typre of frame I can use?

this is the frame I have seen: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/categ...-specialized-bicycles-tricross-comp-08-29161/
The Spesh Tricross was available in single speed.
Frame available here.http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=201989150189&globalID=EBAY-GB

Threevok

That's not a bad punt actually. It only needs a rear wheel by the looks of it

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Ok good to know. I can potentially get hold of a 90's Dawes Giro so maybe that would be a better bet for the conversion as it should have the correct type of frame.

Thanks @Cycleops

@Alfa GT where are you based? How tall are you?

I have a couple of likely candidate's , I am based in Wellingborough Northamptonshire and you are more than welcome to come and try them

OP
OP
Alfa GT

Alfa GT

thanks guys!

@biggs682 I'm based in Cambridge so not too far and I'm 5'10". What sort of bikes have you got? Have you got a shop? Cheers!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
OP
OP
Alfa GT

Alfa GT

@biggs682 Wow they looks amazing, especially that Bromwich! Alas, I think they are a bit expensive for me and probably not the sort of bikes I should be tinkering with... I'm more after something I can mess around with without worrying about breaking it!

Thanks anyway and great work :okay:

Top Bottom