1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

thinking fixie...

Discussion in 'Fixed Gear and Single Speed' started by Alfa GT, 17 Jul 2017.

1. Alfa GT

Alfa GT Member

Hi All

I have an uncontrollable urge to spend money so looking to get a fixie for no other reason than I want one! I have very little need for it but I have convinced myself now and can't back down! I want to spend £100 - £200 max. What should I do:

1. buy a very cheap new bike
    2. buy a fixie off ebay/gumtree/local ads
    3. buy a decent bike off ebay/gumtree/local ads and convert to fixie

How easy would it be to convert a decent bike to a fixie? I've seen a 2011 Specialized Tricross local to me that looks pretty good and only £100. Would that be a bike fit for converting?

Cheers
    Ad

2. Threevok

Threevok Well-Known Member

CRC are having a clear out of (what appears) to be their entire Fixie stock

All about the £250 mark though you can get £10 off with the Promo code, plus cashback as well at Quidco

Last edited: 17 Jul 2017
    mudrock likes this.
  3. Ian H

Ian H Veteran

If you're buying to convert you need an older frame with forward-facing long dropouts (or track-ends if you're not fussy).

4. Alfa GT

Alfa GT Member

Great I'll have a look and see if I can stretch to it. I do quite like the idea of converting an old bike though. I actually think I mean that I would like to convert it to singlespeed rather than a fixie. I'm not up with the terminology! Does that make a difference to what typre of frame I can use?

this is the frame I have seen: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/categ...-specialized-bicycles-tricross-comp-08-29161/

5. Threevok

Single speed is different, as it uses a freewheel (like a normal geared bike) but frame the requirements for conversion are the same.

Chain tension being the main obstacle. There are several ways to overcome this though

6. Alfa GT

Alfa GT Member

Ok good to know. I can potentially get hold of a 90's Dawes Giro so maybe that would be a better bet for the conversion as it should have the correct type of frame.

biggs682 likes this.
  7. Threevok

Indeed it would

8. Spiderweb

Spiderweb Über Member

The Spesh Tricross was available in single speed.
    Frame available here.http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=201989150189&globalID=EBAY-GB

9. Threevok

That's not a bad punt actually. It only needs a rear wheel by the looks of it

10. Cycleops

Cycleops Veteran

Not bad at all but I suspect it'll go for a lot more than the current bid.
    Maybe Bigsie (@biggs682 ) has something?

11. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

Thanks @Cycleops

@Alfa GT where are you based? How tall are you?

I have a couple of likely candidate's , I am based in Wellingborough Northamptonshire and you are more than welcome to come and try them

12. Alfa GT

Alfa GT Member

thanks guys!

@biggs682 I'm based in Cambridge so not too far and I'm 5'10". What sort of bikes have you got? Have you got a shop? Cheers!

13. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

mudrock and Alfa GT like this.
  14. Alfa GT

Alfa GT Member

@Spiderweb The Tricross I can potentially get hold of is £140 with all components all ready to go. I'll keep an eye on the ebay one though in case in turns out to be a bargain

mudrock and Spiderweb like this.
  15. Alfa GT

Alfa GT Member

@biggs682 Wow they looks amazing, especially that Bromwich! Alas, I think they are a bit expensive for me and probably not the sort of bikes I should be tinkering with... I'm more after something I can mess around with without worrying about breaking it!

Thanks anyway and great work :okay:

biggs682 likes this.