Thinking of a Specialized Sirrus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mirador

After a new bike, my 1990's Raleigh Elan is not suitable for some of the cycle paths near me.

My initial choice was for a Specialized Crosstrail disc. I have ridden a couple.

After joining the forum I note quite a few comments relating to suspension and not needing it. I'd assumed it would only ever be a benefit. Any explanations for or against welcomed.

Anyway, now thinking of the Specialized Sirrus with disc brakes. Bike is going to be used a few days a week. Some road and some gritty tarmac tracks. No intention of riding on the downs or very uneven surfaces.

I'm 6'1 and 34" inside leg. The Specialized size chart would suggest I could have Large or XL frame. Not sure what is best to go for.

Finally, if you can think of any essential extras then feel free to advise.

I have decided to start cycling again really for fun amd fitness.

Any help really appreciated.

Thanks,

Neil.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you have an Evans closeby. They'll be able to advise on sizing and get one in for you to test ride

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello again Neil. You really don't need the suspension forks. Disc brakes are a great choice for the best all weather braking. Remember the bigger tyres you can fit the greater the comfort so check the clearances on your intended buy if you want to go that route or get them as OE.

Specislized stuff tends to be a bit pricey so have a look around to see what else is available for that price.

I have Spesh AWOL in a Large, I'm exactly the same height/inside leg as you and its perfect for me but go and try.

You'll need a good D lock if you ever leave it outside.

OP
OP
Mirador

Mirador

Thanks for the replies.

Hargroves have the bike at £439. They are getting in a Large and XL for me to try.

I hadn't given any thought to tyres. Hope the std fit will be ok.

Neil.

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
Hi, I bought a Sirrus Sport (Large) and immediately rode it on a 1000 mile tour. It was great, no issues at all, I am 6' with a 33" inside leg and found it all day comfy.

OP
OP
Mirador

Mirador

Hi, I bought a Sirrus Sport (Large) and immediately rode it on a 1000 mile tour. It was great, no issues at all, I am 6' with a 33" inside leg and found it all day comfy.

Hi Mark - Any reason why you went for the sport version?

Thanks,

Neil.

Last edited:

grumpyoldgit

Über Member
I have got the old Sirrus cf,with Di2 gears.I had to change the wheels,as they were too stiff for general use.I must get it out again,not ridden it in ages.

Jason

The Sirrus is a great choice, and at £429 a great price.
Evans are currently selling them at £525

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-sirrus-disc-2017-hybrid-bike-EV279733
Frame
Specialized A1 Premium Aluminum, Fitness Geometry, fully-manipulated butted tubing, integrated lower bearing, fender/rack mounts
Fork
Specialized A1 Premium Aluminum, Cr-Mo steerer, IS disc mount, fender/rack mounts
Front Derailleur
Shimano Tourney, top swing, dual pull, 31.8mm band clamp
Rear Derailleur
Shimano Altus, 7-/8-speed
Number of Gears
Shifters
microSHIFT flatbar road, 9-speed
Chain set
Stout, forged alloy, 48/38/28T w/chainguard
Cassette
Shimano, 8-speed, 11-32t
Chain
KMC X8, 8-speed w/reusable MissingLink

The sport has better components
https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-sirrus-sport-2017-hybrid-bike-EV279732

Frame
Specialized A1 Premium Aluminum, Fitness Geometry, fully-manipulated butted tubing, integrated lower bearing, fender/rack mounts
Fork
FACT carbon fiber, alloy steerer/crown, post mount disc, Plug + Play fender mount
Front Derailleur
microSHIFT R9, 31.8mm clamp, 9-speed, road double
Rear Derailleur
Shimano Alivio, 9-speed
Number of Gears
Shifters
microSHIFT flatbar road, 9-speed
Chain set
FSA Vero, forged alloy, sub compact, 110mm BCD spider, 48/32T w/chainguard
Cassette
Shimano, 9-speed, 11-34t
Chain
KMC X9, 9-speed w/reusable MissingLink
Pedals Supplied

for the type of riding you intend to do, the base disc model is perfectly adequate - had a few and sold as i changed bikes. currently hanker for a disc hybrid such as the one your looking at

vickster

Legendary Member
Sirrus zzzzzz most dull to ride bikes I ever owned. Unfortunately I replaced a stolen one with another

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'd assumed it would only ever be a benefit. Any explanations for or against welcomed.

In short, suspension can waste quite a lot of energy.

Suspension came in on pro-level mountain and downhill bikes because the racers benefited from it when hitting rocks and tree stumps at 20-30mph. As with all things, when the pros have it, it'll filter down as an option for the keen amateur, and once some of the better mountain bikes (intended for hard, fast riding) had suspension then people convinced themselves that a bike without suspension must be inferior. So now, many manufacturers feel they have to provide it, otherwise customers will go elsewhere.

On a stiff (non-suspension) bike, most of the power you put into the pedal strokes goes to the wheels, whereas on a full suspension bike some of it is diverted to constantly compressing the suspension systems. Oh and of course, even more energy is expended by carrying the weight of the suspension units, since full suspension forks are relatively heavy.

If you're bombing down rocky trails in the Massif Centrale, Whistler mountain or the Peak District then yeah, it's a benefit. But if you're pootling along on gravel tracks and footpaths through woods, I'd argue that at best it's just a minor hinderance.

Oh and it's one more thing that costs money to fix when it breaks.

Top Bottom