thinking of buying a new (to me) smart phone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Just as an aside, If you want to change to apple to see what it's all about then try an iPhone SE if you can cope with the small ish screen. We have 2 in our family and they give (for apple) a good bang per buck lol

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm currently using a samsung galaxy ace which wont run many apps I've tried to install.

No issues with samsung, would happily have another... just wanna know if the Jellybean OS is worth having these days or not.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Without knowing how much you're paying it's difficult to comment on value for money. I do question why one would want to buy five year old technology? I'd suggest he should be giving it away.

Have a look at Moto and Huawei phones - fantastic value and quality for around £150 and certainly no more than £200. I think I paid £159 for my Moto G6 in the spring.

SIM card from Tesco or O2 for £5/month and job's done.

...but i don't really know much about smart phones.

An old workmate is flogging a samsung note 3. It's five years old and on Jellybean. Is this an outdated OS in this day and age?

TIA :smile:

I'm currently using a samsung galaxy ace which wont run many apps I've tried to install.

No issues with samsung, would happily have another... just wanna know if the Jellybean OS is worth having these days or not.
The Note 3 should update to Lolilipop, Android 5, a much better bet than Jellybean. It's a good phone, and the battery is easily replaceable. If the price is right, and the port works properly, a good phone.

U

User6179

I am on about 4 versions older with gingerbread and it works fine but I only use a couple of apps.

D

Deleted member 26715

Unless it's free or almost & you can put a new battery in then as Dionne Warwick says "Walk on by"

Jody

Stubborn git
Note 3 is only a year older than note 4 which is a great phone and a keeper for me after 4 years.

Exactly. My Note 4 was the best phone I had up to that point. Kept for 4 years and it never missed a beat. I don't think I'll have anything other than a Note for the foreseeable future.

Jody

Stubborn git
As a comparison my mum is still using my old Galaxy S2 which is now coming up to 8 years old. Still has no issues even with current apps. Only issue was a battery replacement about 2 years ago.

irw

Quadricyclist
Later operating systems take up more processing power. Earlier phones would either not have the ability to run later systems or would be stretched so far as to cause speed/reliability problems.
As an analogy - try running Windows 10 on a PC that previously came with XP installed as standard.

Not necessarily a great example...As much as I don't like Windows 10, it does (appear to) run faster than XP on my old computer. This speed increase is of course offset manyfold by the time it takes to find now-hidden or renamed elements that where obvious in XP...! Now installing Windows 7 on a '98 machine however....!

Top Bottom