Thinking of buying a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am thinking of buying a road bike at a price range between £700 and around £800 but do not know which makes are good. Ive heard of Scott, Specialized, Cannondale, and Kona. I have also come across some makes I have never heard of or at least heard of but know nothing about from two shops I have checked (Evans and Start Cycles). The makes I am enquiring about are Forme, Merida, Eastway, Fuji, Eddy Merckx, Bianchi, and Charge. Can anyone give me any advice on these makes?

vickster

Legendary Member
Merida are huge and make frames for everyone else other than giant. Best thing is to go test ride a few. With your budget, on a 2013 model, you should get an Alu frame with carbon fork and tiagra shifters and dérailleur

I enquired on here about eastward and got no replies, but their bikes look fab, different and a British company

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Eddy Merkx bike are awesome, really like them.
Bianchi are pretty reasonable bikes, but they all look the same in that yucky Celeste blue/green that they now also paint Treks in..... if you get one ensure its a different colour, they look cool in midnight blue or green

J1780

I had a specialized allez a number of years back and it was a nice bike. Alu frame, carbon forks, sora shifters that sort of kit will be fairly standard on a bike in the price range you mention. I have spoken with a few lads who have cannondale caad 8 and one with a caad 10 to a person they love the bike.

For £800ish you'll be able to get a 2013 defy 1. I am also coming to the conclusion that most bikes by cube and felt are pretty good looking, no idea what they are like to ride though.

Eddy Merkx bike are awesome, really like them.
Bianchi are pretty reasonable bikes, but they all look the same in that yucky Celeste blue/green that they now also paint Treks in..... if you get one ensure its a different colour, they look cool in midnight blue or green
You haven't seen many Bianchi's then ;)

Nope, just the same one again and again, its painted Celeste so it really stands out ;) Can't miss it
Yip, its OTT; when I picked up one I went for something which I thought had nice touches of it but I couldn't go for the base Via Nirone which is all that colour; I think I'd have to get Oltre instead but the price difference is something like £600 and £6000 just to satisfy the bike tart in me ;)

simon.r

Person
One of the bikes on your list, the Charge, has a steel frame. (I'm guessing it's the Charge Juicer). Many people like the way (good) steel rides - definitely worth a look and a test ride IMO. But I'm biased as I own one:rolleyes:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Those of you who mock the wonderful celeste of Bianchi clearly haven't seen Bianchi Man from around these parts! He has the bike, the kit (even the socks),the helmet,the water bottles,you name it he rides or wears it!!:becool:He acknowledged me the other week,i'm still on cloud nine!!:ohmy::hyper:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have a Giant Defy 2 (2011 model) and would highly recommend a Defy which would fall nicely in your budget. The Eddie Merckx would be my bike of choice at your price point if I had to replace the Defy right here and right now though. Lovely lovely bikes, built with passion.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Those of you who mock the wonderful celeste of Bianchi clearly haven't seen Bianchi Man from around these parts! He has the bike, the kit (even the socks),the helmet,the water bottles,you name it he rides or wears it!!:becool:He acknowledged me the other week,i'm still on cloud nine!!:ohmy::hyper:

Im not in a position to mock as I have the HTC bike, kit, water bottles, helmet, glasses, socks :cry:we sound related, twins possibly, he could be the Danny Devito to my Arnold Schwarzenegger. ;)

Wonder why he has a cool superhero name like "Bianchi Man" it sounds so much better than what Im usually called. :cry:

Top Bottom