Thinking of buying one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
We normally go off for a day out by taking our bikes on the train. Giving how things are at the moment trains are not looking to get to back to normal for some time.
Now being down to now car my Aygo we can't get both bikes in our car and a rack is not looking that practical either. I also fancy having something to take on holiday with us.
So thinking about folding bikes having looked around as with many things not all are equal. I'm not looking at spending a lot but want something worth having. happy to pay for something worth having. 2rd hand is looking the best route so what is a good type to look out for?
I have seen a 2001 Brompton 5 speed hardly used on eBay currently up for £500.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
A rack would be significantly cheaper although not exactly N+1

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
True but a rear rack is not an option due to glass tailgate. I'm not that sold on the idea of a roof on either

Tenkaykev

Guru
We normally go off for a day out by taking our bikes on the train. Giving how things are at the moment trains are not looking to get to back to normal for some time.
Now being down to now car my Aygo we can't get both bikes in our car and a rack is not looking that practical either. I also fancy having something to take on holiday with us.
So thinking about folding bikes having looked around as with many things not all are equal. I'm not looking at spending a lot but want something worth having. happy to pay for something worth having. 2rd hand is looking the best route so what is a good type to look out for?

I love my Brommies, but coincidentally this popped into my Mail inbox :

https://www.aldi.co.uk/classic-lightweight-folding-bike/p/708372411115300

Might be worth a look.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Bearing in mind your location I would have thought you might like something a bit cheaper :whistle:
Folders are often bought on a whim and hardly used so you can often pick up a Dahon or Tern on Gumtree little used for little money. I bought a nice Bike Friday last year for three hundred notes, disc brakes and five speed Alfine hub.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
I have a Sea Sucker copy from Rock Bros that overcomes that problem.
I’ve thought about them having seen them being used. What they like ?

Gunk

Guru
Current Brompton prices are a bit mad so £500 really is entry level, it’s really not difficult to end up spending another couple of hundred quid getting it shipshape, remember most have been commuter bikes and have been ridden into the ground, owners tend to hold on to them, so used ones are usually shagged.

icowden

Veteran

what kind of folder do you want? where will you be cycling? how far?

If you want big wheels and lots of gears, Tern Joe is great, or Tern Eclipse. If you want a tiny bike that's zippy, then Brompton is your bike. if you don't mind taking off the front wheel and want something really robust then things like the Montague are worth looking at. If you want a lightweight road bike then Change Bike might be your thing (although the front wheel has to come off again).

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
what kind of folder do you want? where will you be cycling? how far?

If you want big wheels and lots of gears, Tern Joe is great, or Tern Eclipse. If you want a tiny bike that's zippy, then Brompton is your bike. if you don't mind taking off the front wheel and want something really robust then things like the Montague are worth looking at. If you want a lightweight road bike then Change Bike might be your thing (although the front wheel has to come off again).
When we go off together it's mostly cycle paths, 15/20 miles maybe a bit more. Tern look's interesting not come across them.

Top Bottom