Thinking of buying one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulM

Guru
I have a Tern Link D8 for sale, upgraded to a 9-speed 11-34 with barely used Marathon Greenguard tyres. £250. But I'm down on the south coast and when I looked into delivery costs it was around £40.

Julia9054

Guru
Not all folders are equal. We tried out a Dahon at Evans and realised we couldn't get 2 in the boot of a golf. I bought a Brompton in the end but I have to say I don't ride it much.

icowden

Veteran
When we go off together it's mostly cycle paths, 15/20 miles maybe a bit more. Tern look's interesting not come across them.

I've done London to Brighton on the Joe, but it wouldn't fit in an Aygo (I wouldnt have thought) without the seats down and being fully folded. The Eclipse has a smaller fold. Generally Terns tend to be well geared (my Joe has 27 gears for example), but the hinge can let you down if you don't check it regularly or have it serviced by someone incompetent (eg some branches of Evans). The ride is very solid, but they can be heavy (my joe is 16kg with lights, bag etc). Interestingly they have just started doing cargo bikes that fold.

They are related to Dahon in that the owner is in the same family as Mr Dahon.

12boy

Guru
Gunk is correct. An elderly Brompton can be expensive to get into shape. However, I've enjoyed my Brompton as much or more than my other bikes and there have been many. Before you buy any folder I would strongly urge you to test ride them.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I love my Brommies, but coincidentally this popped into my Mail inbox :

https://www.aldi.co.uk/classic-lightweight-folding-bike/p/708372411115300

Might be worth a look.

Pretty much identical bike to the Aldi one available cheaper from Halfords with a Raleigh badge on it.

I've tried one and thought it rode nicely.

The fold is a dead loss, heavy, unwieldy, and bits sticking out all over the place to scrape your skin or scratch your car.

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/folding-bikes/raleigh-evo-2-folding-bike-177059.html

straas

Matt
Get a brompton - I've never regretted my purchase.

Can take them into any shop, can stick a basket on the front for shopping and errands.

Took it into town last night for a few beers and food - 3 miles each way. Wore the same clothes I'd wear if I was getting the tram in and didn't turn up sweaty, no worries about public transport timings or getting taxis etc.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Just an update first thank's everyone for the advice and giving me other options to look at.
I'm still look and thinking things though I'm not going down the road of playing the silly price game and are happy to leave it once it's gone that way. The Raleigh type was on my list but it never quite looked right to me so thanks to @Pale Rider for confirming a few things.

I did think older Brompton's may have a few miles on the clock and need some extra work. It's surprising how many keep coming up that clearly have little use which are one ones I keep looking at.
In terms of age even with one's with little use anyone one know or recommend age range or older models best avoided ?
I am coming round to Brompton or nothing maybe it's the thought out design that i'm sold on. I know they are a bit Marmite but I can but see.

icowden

Veteran
Find a local bike shop(s) and take some different types for a test ride. It's the best way to find out whether you like a particular type.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Took it into town last night for a few beers and food - 3 miles each way. Wore the same clothes I'd wear if I was getting the tram in and didn't turn up sweaty, no worries about public transport timings or getting taxis etc.

Sounds fun - safer in virus times, too.

12boy

Guru
I have a Brompton and I'll prolly ride it in a while for my daily 20. That will be after I eat breakfast which will include....Marmite. it's expensive here but I got 2 x 500 gram tubs on line a little while ago and have almost finished the first. Anything that tastes like that has got to be good for you.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
I have a Brompton and I'll prolly ride it in a while for my daily 20. That will be after I eat breakfast which will include....Marmite. it's expensive here but I got 2 x 500 gram tubs on line a little while ago and have almost finished the first. Anything that tastes like that has got to be good for you.
No one said you needed Marmite before you got on one. That changers everything living with someone who loves it is bad enough. :laugh:

Top Bottom