thinking of changing my cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davc1968

Hey Guys, beginner cyclist starting to get back into it after 2 knee replacements. I have a Raleigh mustang elite cross bike and due to the ops i am struggling on steep hills. Set up is as follows:
crankset: XLC 1x11 40t
cassette: Sunrace 11-42 11 speed.
rear derailer: Sram Apex 1
My question to the experienced guys is can I change to a 11-46 cassette and will this help on steep climbs? If I can what would be the best cassette to change to?
Thanks D

si_c

Guru
The Apex 1 has a max tooth limit of 42 according to the specifications. That being said, I think you may find better luck changing the crankset to a 32t unit - this would give you a much lower gear than adding 4 teeth at the back, although you would also need to change the bottom bracket probably as the crankset you have now looks like a raleigh in-house unit so you probably can't find it individually.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Good suggestion from si_c above. The only problem might be finding a 32t single chainset. It’s a BSA bb so standard.
You could find a double but of course you’d need a FD and shifter and perhaps your frame doesn’t have guides for the Cable. You can always fit a double and remove one of the rings. A Shimano Hollowtech will fit which comes with a BB.
Alternatively you could try a ‘Wolftooth” gear extender with the 46t cassette to allow you to use your existing derailleur.
46t won’t make a huge difference so you might want to consider your options.

BTW welcome to the forum.:smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Davc1968

The Apex 1 has a max tooth limit of 42 according to the specifications. That being said, I think you may find better luck changing the crankset to a 32t unit - this would give you a much lower gear than adding 4 teeth at the back, although you would also need to change the bottom bracket probably as the crankset you have now looks like a raleigh in-house unit so you probably can't find it individually.

Thanks for the quick response :smile:
so in short its bit more work to get better gearing for hills than i first thought
Many thanks

OP
OP
D

Davc1968

Good suggestion from si_c above. The only problem might be finding a 32t single chainset. It’s a BSA bb so standard.
You could find a double but of course you’d need a FD and shifter and perhaps your frame doesn’t have guides for the Cable. You can always fit a double and remove one of the rings. A Shimano Hollowtech will fit which comes with a BB.
Alternatively you could try a ‘Wolftooth” gear extender with the 46t cassette to allow you to use your existing derailleur.
46t won’t make a huge difference so you might want to consider your options.

BTW welcome to the forum.:smile:

Thanks and I really appreciate the info.
:smile:

Sharky

Guru
How long since the knee jobs?

A 40 x 42 is already a low gear and going lower still may not be the solution. Give it a bit more time and be happy to walk when needed.

Good luck

Jody

Stubborn git
How is the chainring attached to the crank?

I can't find much info online but could you not just temporarily swap the front ring for something smaller?

CXRAndy

Guru
How is the chainring attached to the crank?

I can't find much info online but could you not just temporarily swap the front ring for something smaller?
The crank looks to be one piece.

Best bang for your buck would be to change the front, this would work best for significant gear reduction.

Next best(ignore costs). Get an Ebike, hills, what hills:okay:

Jody

Stubborn git
The crank looks to be one piece.

It looks that way but was wondering if it uses a spline drive. You don't usually get a chain ring cast into the crank arm so it must be removable.

You can pick a narrow wide front ring up for about £15 so that would be his cheapest option if it can be replaced.

Quick google shows 11sp cassettes w/46T start around £45. I reckon you could get a cheapo complete chainset (double/triple) with 32T or smaller ring for that money. Just use the one ring, see how it goes.

I suspect a bike with a multi-chainring setup is your future, in terms of bang-for-buck - I'm pretty light and find my single-chainring commuter is very limiting for *proper* hills.

OP
OP
D

Davc1968

How long since the knee jobs?

A 40 x 42 is already a low gear and going lower still may not be the solution. Give it a bit more time and be happy to walk when needed.

Good luck
Hi Sharky,

Second knee was done last August, lot of issues with infections and wasnt really doing much until February this year. Maybe expectations too much right now? appreciate the comment. :smile:

Sharky

Guru
Hi Sharky,

Second knee was done last August, lot of issues with infections and wasnt really doing much until February this year. Maybe expectations too much right now? appreciate the comment. :smile:
Not had experience of knee problems, but I've broken a few bones in my time (ankle, collar, pelvis) and each time it took a few months of gradual build up on an indoor turbo before venturing out onto the roads and then it was another gradual build up.

Hope it improves

Top Bottom