Thinking of getting a 'Gravel Bike'.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As the title suggests I'm looking at buying into this new phenomena known as 'Gravel biking'.

I'm a normal every day bod who enjoys riding his road bike, 2016 carbon Defy, anywhere between 10 and 50mls at a time.

Never really looked at riding off road but we have a few old railway lines around where I live that are frequented by Mountain bikers and thought for a winter alternative to hitting the turbo was to invest in a new bike.

Looking at the bikes on sale I can see the difference in gearing, wheels geometry etc but I suppose what I'm asking is has anyone here gone down that route and what experience/advice could they offer to a potential convert.

I would never not have a road bike so would be looking at adding to my stable and would have a budget of around 2k so any advice would be appreciated.

Regards in advance.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My GT Grade from 2017 covers both bases. Sublime 100+ mile road bike and gnarly gravel/off-road beast. With the right bike one activity does not exclude the other.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Give it a go. The slack head angle and long wheelbase means it's no ball of fire but it'll handle stuff your road bike can't.
I'd go for something which doesn't have very wide tyres, maybe 32-35c. I'm sure you'll enjoy.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
One of the Genesis tourer type bikes might tick that box, the Croix de Fer maybe? I have the Tour de Fer, it's superb on and off road, 35mm tyres which are happy on rocky and muddy tracks but also at home on the road.

Have you tried the railway paths on your road bike ? The ones round here are fine for road bikes - just a little more muddy when wet.

2 grand seems a lot to ride up and down there - if I were you I'd be looking for a winter bike that can take fat tyres and guards and has a double chainset.

Best of both worlds.

You could even get a set of road wheels and tyres and it would do as a summer bike too.

vickster

Legendary Member
You don’t need to spend as much as 2k, merlin do the Malt in various guises under £1k (unless you want something lighter with a higher groupset)
Ribble, Dolan, Planet X worth looking at, for single and double chainset options among others

As the title suggests I'm looking at buying into this new phenomena known as 'Gravel biking'.

I'm a normal every day bod who enjoys riding his road bike, 2016 carbon Defy, anywhere between 10 and 50mls at a time.

Never really looked at riding off road but we have a few old railway lines around where I live that are frequented by Mountain bikers and thought for a winter alternative to hitting the turbo was to invest in a new bike.

Looking at the bikes on sale I can see the difference in gearing, wheels geometry etc but I suppose what I'm asking is has anyone here gone down that route and what experience/advice could they offer to a potential convert.

I would never not have a road bike so would be looking at adding to my stable and would have a budget of around 2k so any advice would be appreciated.

Regards in advance.
Go for it! I got a Diverge Sport last summer for £2k, road bike used very little since, gravel bike is great do it all bike. Means I can do combo rides, tarmac, tracks, tow paths etc so more varied which is great fun. Perfect winter bike as well :okay:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I have a Genesis Croix De Fer 30 and like it very much :smile:

Since I got the Genesis in April it's covered a little over 1900 miles while my road bike has done a bit under 90, which I think says it all :tongue:

Obviously to the untrained eye road and gravel bikes are quite similar, so I'd suggest you look at what you want and aim for something away from the road (and CX) end of the spectrum. Compared to my road bike the big sell of the Genesis is its versatility; it's capable on more surfaces (fat tyres and slacker gemetry), better in wet weather (guards and discs), capable of carrying a decent amount of luggage (rack mounts front and rear) and potentially better at covering a lot of distance in comfort thanks to its more relaxed geometry.

The road bike is good for a ride when I want to go fast on the road (which it turns out isn't my primary, foremost intention before most rides). The gravel bike is good for everything else this side of a MTB - road, bridleways, long distance, touring, utility..

On 35mm slicks I reckon it's about 15% slower than the road bike and great on dry, not-too-hardcore off-road tracks. If I could only have one bike it'd be this one without hesitation :smile:

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Seem to me tyres are the main difference between the two types of bike.

Has your Defy got much clearance?

If you can get gravel tyres on it - something with a bit more width and small knobbles - your existing bike would do the job well.

These Michelins look might do: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...MI5KiH8Zq76wIVaoBQBh31mwx4EAQYBCABEgJDIvD_BwE

If the new bike itch must be scratched, I agree the Merlin Malt looks excellent.

Hammering along gravel tracks will inevitably beat the bike up a bit, so it seems a shame to do that to a shiny new bike costing two grand.

OP
OP
D

Deleted User

Many thanks for the replies, certainly lots to think about.

I was looking at using it for Winter also so that's a good suggestion and I've also thought of using my current bike with a change of tyres but I didn't really want that battered to death, also I currently have 50mm Carbon rims on that so would need to swap wheels over as well.

2K was a maximum so obviously if I can spend half that then I'd be over the moon.

Once again many thanks and I'll let you all know how I get on.

Last edited:

Kajjal

Guru
I have had one for a few years now and find then very useful for exploring as the road sections go by much faster than on a mountain bike. My current bike is last years diverge sport which rides fine on canal towpaths, bridleways, forestry trails, gravel tracks, abandoned railway lines, byways etc. it is only when it gets rougher or much steeper that a mountain bike would really come into its own, and mountain bikes have better handling off road generally.

I would recommend getting one that has at least 40mm tyre clearance or more if possible as this makes the off-road riding smoother with more grip, and also gives more clearance for mudguards. Then look at the gearing, off road needs lower gearing than on a road bike so look at the chain set and rear cassette. Mine has 48/32 and 11-34 which is fine but a wider cassette would be my next change. Finally the feel and power of hydraulic disc brakes is very useful off road and mountain bikes have used them for decades now.

DRM

Guru
https://www.marinbikes.com/gb/bikes/2021-gestalt-2
I have the 2019 version of this, it's identical other than the colour scheme, it works really well on & off road, and I've actually found myself out on it more than the Defy, it's been used on the canal towpath (quite rough in parts) gravel tracks, and on tarmac, the brakes are Tektro branded Spyres, which is weird seeing as TRP & Tektro are one and the same, the Schwalbe G-One Speeds grip well, when they're worn out I'll probably replace them with 35mm versions, it does run fast on road, although it's got a bit more upright riding position, and the wheels it comes with are quite light, it's a genuine all rounder, for road rides, off tarmac rides, even a bit of touring, the latest Tiagra is very smooth, with a good spread of gears, the frame has mudguard mounts, and bosses on the forks for accessories, it's also a bit of a rarity, I haven't seen another out there.

Top Bottom