Thinking of getting a 'Gravel Bike'.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another recent convert with the 2021 Genesis CDA at £900 ish. GRX and tiagra, Promax brakes, 37c tyres, and rack/mugduards... used for a couple of 32 miles commutes and local unpaved rides. I have found it brings drop bar comfort with low gearing and a nice balance, also quite light.
Size Large, I’m 5’ 11” and it suits me really comfortably, even the stock saddle is good!
FDF8422A-6B71-49B6-9483-659CD549997D.jpeg

43AB8D28-5FD9-4574-B2A5-974B281CB27C.jpeg

Bottle cage error, kindly already pointed out @Milkfloat 😄

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted User

That was my next question, gearing, my defy runs a 50/34 with 11-34 cassette so 1:1 if required and on occasion I've needed it!

Some gravel bikes also 'only' have 1:1 gearing and some slightly lower but I would have thought the need would arise for quite a bit lower options?

What's people thoughts on this?

Regards.

I have so far need to use the low CR, but it feels like it would be really low. The CDA is aluminium so quite light too.... I’ll have a look tomorrow and see what it feels like, if you like?

That was my next question, gearing, my defy runs a 50/34 with 11-34 cassette so 1:1 if required and on occasion I've needed it!

Some gravel bikes also 'only' have 1:1 gearing and some slightly lower but I would have thought the need would arise for quite a bit lower options?

Regards.
wouldn't have thought so, anything below 1:1 is a bit crazy, but i do have on MTB ie. 22 chainring 30 tooth cassette. Its never used.

DRM

Guru

Regards.
My Marin has a compact 11-34 set up, you don't need lower than this, I've found it to be pretty much spot on.

screenman

Legendary Member
Must admit a gravel bike is on my list, more for the rough roads in these parts rather than off road.

screenman

Legendary Member
That's where it's worth it's weight in gold, plus the "I wonder where that track goes to" times too

I know where the tracks go as I have 3 mtb bikes that have traveled them all over the last 31 years I have been in this area, so no excitement left there. I do get the idea though, it has crossed my mind that I should not maybe have sold off the cross bikes when I stopped racing cross every season for many years.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Regards.

Seems to me unlikely your off road adventures will involve anything much steeper than you tackle already.

Thus if you are happy with the gearing on your road bike, you will probably be happy with similar gearing on a gravel bike.

What you really need is more traction from the wider tyres with tread and running lower pressure, plus plenty of frame clearance.

I've seen front derailers clog with a leaf and a twig, so I would be tempted by a single ring at the front.

The Malt is available in 1X GRX flavour which would give you a 40/42 lowest gear of 11.

Lots of lovely frame clearance - look at the pic of the front fork which would nearly fit a fat bike.

Nice relaxed and upright position, just the job for picking your way through the rough stuff.

Beware of 'target fixation' - the idea is to look up and ahead where you are about to go, rather than look down at where you are going.

https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-malt-g2x-grx-gravel-bike-2021-197443.html

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Those Malt bikes look too good to be true as far as value goes.

They do look good value, but the GRX version is £1,100, which is still a lot of money for a bicycle.

Speaking of money and groupsets, were I planning on doing some serious mud plugging I would have a think about replacement costs.

The modern, lightweight, many speed groupsets can wear quickly in adverse conditions.

I hear tales of some hardcore MTBers going through a chain and cassette in a day's riding.

Generally speaking, the more speeds you have, the less durable and more expensive the components.

If you plan on riding through lots of clart, a clunky old eight or nine speed groupset would last longer and be a lot cheaper to replace.

Top Bottom