Thinking of getting a Unicycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
As it says, next year's challenge to myself & a plan B to tone my core up a bit more with running still off the agenda.

For those that do it, how much is practice and how much is natural ability to balance and what tips would you give to a total newbie who is a poor trackstander on 2 wheels.

I have parks with soft grass and long flat avenues to fall off and learn on before I tackle hills.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Never tried one, but I have seen a lad riding a 36" unicycle now and then. He wears a full face helmet, which makes me wonder what misfortunes may have occurred in the past.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
As it says, next year's challenge to myself & a plan B to tone my core up a bit more with running still off the agenda.

For those that do it, how much is practice and how much is natural ability to balance and what tips would you give to a total newbie who is a poor trackstander on 2 wheels.

I have parks with soft grass and long flat avenues to fall off and learn on before I tackle hills.

Don't do it,unless there's money to be made from doing it!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

@User14044 and I have written a book about unicycling. It's just been published a bit later than expected because we've been short handed since my butler lost his arm.

dummies_unicycling.png

TVC

Taking up unicycling sounds like a great idea, why not try Morris Dancing and Incest as well, then you will have the set.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
By the way, I see that our book is No 1 on the Amazon best sellers list

....of books about Unicycles for Posh Dummies.

And just in case anyone doubts our credentials here's some pictures of our butlers in action - they are too posh to pedal.

0.jpg

Prometheus, Rockymountain's butler.

monowheel.jpg

Fenton, my butler before he lost his arm - he still won't tell me how it happened over at Rocky's

adds21

Rider of bikes
Go for either a 20" wheel, or, if you're on the tall side, a 24" wheel for learning. http://www.unicycle.uk.com/ are very good (I have no affiliation, other than as a customer). I'd recommend a "Club" as a learner unicycle, if you want something which will last.

It'll probably take around 10 or 15 hours of falling before you're able to travel more than a couple of feet, but it's well worth the effort. Even after that, it'll take longer to learn other "skills" (such as stopping neatly, or turning left or right!). However it's well worth the effort. I do "muni", which is mountain unicycling and is excellent fun, especially when overtaking two wheeled MTBs up the hills! :-)

I recently did nearly 30 miles on roads, and commute by unicycle once a week (5 or 9 miles each way, depending on my route) so it's almost a useful form of transport!

Like bikes, they tend to multiple. I now have 8 (and a half) unicycles. My most recent purchase being a 29" off-road unicycle with a disk brake (last week).

Top Bottom