Thinking of going tubeless . . . .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
the cycle clinic website has a lot of info on tubeless as well - although that said you don't have to follow all his suggestions - I didn't

lane

Veteran
An order has been placed for the Schwalbe Pro One 700-28 tyres + the Schwalbe sealant. The wheels are Fulcrum tubeless ready and they recommend Schwalbe stuff as being the preferred combination.

Time will tell!

Rob

Presumably they recommend the Schwalbe sealant because they make money selling it. Sealant isn't specific to a particular tyre brand. Have you looked at reviews of it?

OP
OP
robgul

robgul

Legendary Member
Presumably they recommend the Schwalbe sealant because they make money selling it. Sealant isn't specific to a particular tyre brand. Have you looked at reviews of it?

The Schwalbe stuff is made by Stans (the Schwalbe rep I deal with at the shop told me) and Stans seems to come out well - the difference in price at trade is marginal .... and if I follow Fulcrum's suggestion and have problems they can't wriggle too much if I've used the recommended combination.

Rob

CXRAndy

Guru
An order has been placed for the Schwalbe Pro One 700-28 tyres + the Schwalbe sealant. The wheels are Fulcrum tubeless ready and they recommend Schwalbe stuff as being the preferred combination.

Time will tell!

Rob

A couple of tips

If you've got access to a compressor, it will make inflation so much easier. You will hear two pops as the bead seats

I tend to inflate dry without sealant, then pop the bead and pour in 70 mil and refit the little bit of bead. I inflate to around 40 psi and press the tyre hard on the ground to bed the bead around the entire wheel. Roll the wheel in all directions to coat the entire tyre innards. Inflate to a pressure which offers good roll and comfort. All your previous ideas about tyre pressures will need resetting- tubeless can be 20/30/40 psi lower.

I tend to inflate, so tyre doesn't feel to roll under cornering.

lane

Veteran
It all depends. I can easily inflate mine using a track pump or even a full size hand pump. On the other hand you might need a compressor. I would try the track pump first. Put the sealant in and spin the wheels.

Milzy

Guru
I like them but in my experience I’d stay away from Conti. So many defects have been reported.
IRC tires from now on.

lane

Veteran
On the other hand I am very happy with my contis. I haven't done mega miles yet but have done quite a few gravel tracks. I would expect they are more or less as robust as other fast tyres such as the pro ones.

Top Bottom