Thinking of the future - Secure Parking in Huddersfield centre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anonymous

Regular
Hi,

I'm thinking long term, I might buy a house in Huddersfield because tbh it's really close to both Leeds, and Manchester, which is great for jobs

I then realised that parking there is quite difficult. As such, I am exploring two options:

1) Secure bike storage
2) Buying a foldable electric bike, and taking it to Manchester / Leeds. I hear the law is changing soon RE: speed wise on those too.

If I use option 1, then well I could leave the bike in a secure storage in the centre (ideally at the station). If I can utilise option 2, and have secure bike storage at my job (not guaranteed), then that's probably better, as then I can take the bike on the train.

I would also be looking to get a season ticket, and Huddersfield seem to have changed how they do things (ie: you have to book in advance, and I'm not sure how that affects season ticket holders)

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'd better weigh in here ... working in Leeds and living in Dewsbury. I've also got a colleague who's buying a house in Elland as there's likely to be a new train station built there and like some of the other towns (Brighouse, Halifax, etc.) you get more house for your money.

Huddersfield (and Dewsbury) have secure bike sheds installed in 2017: https://www.examiner.co.uk/news/how-cyclists-can-train-take-13618929
Not tried them but had a look and they seem OK.

If you're looking at Huddersfield then there are some definite areas to avoid, particularly just north and west of the city centre.

You don't state where you are now. Oh, and :welcome:

OP
OP
A

anonymous

Regular
I'd better weigh in here ... working in Leeds and living in Dewsbury. I've also got a colleague who's buying a house in Elland as there's likely to be a new train station built there and like some of the other towns (Brighouse, Halifax, etc.) you get more house for your money.

Huddersfield (and Dewsbury) have secure bike sheds installed in 2017: https://www.examiner.co.uk/news/how-cyclists-can-train-take-13618929
Not tried them but had a look and they seem OK.

If you're looking at Huddersfield then there are some definite areas to avoid, particularly just north and west of the city centre.

You don't state where you are now. Oh, and :welcome:

What parts in particular should you avoid? I'm from the mean ends of... Keighley here so like Dewsbury, and Huddersfield we have some of the busiest trains...

I'll have a look in to Elland as well, but tbh I think I'd still get the proper Huddersfield one because it's so... quick to Leeds and Manchester.

If I've got an electric bike, even at the current max allowed speed of 15mph that's still decent. When the new laws come in, it makes it easier to have a 30Mph electric bike, cutting down on time even further

I don't then mind living further away, if I have a "fast" form of transport . The train is also way quicker than driving too...

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
What parts in particular should you avoid? I'm from the mean ends of... Keighley here so like Dewsbury, and Huddersfield we have some of the busiest trains...

Basically anywhere within 1/2 mile of the town centre. Otherwise you should be OK.

North's Elland/Brighouse, south's Honley/Brockholes/Holmfirth (think Last of the Summer Wine), east's Mirfield/Kirkburton and west beyond Milnsbridge is fine.

Decent cycle lanes and greenways have/are being installed for riding, there's cycling clubs all over the place, etc. In terms of racing we've circuits in Elland, Leeds, Wakefield and Bradford as well.

There's not yet a specific cycle route between Huddersfield and Leeds - most use the A62 (busy) or go via Mirfield using the greenway for part of it. Wherever you go round Huddersfield there are hills though. Nothing nasty, unless you want them, but there are definitely hills.

That's my 2p-worth. We've other CC members on here from nearby as well ... @Buck @Kestevan @classic33 @Chess @Elijah1 @Too Tyred @Big Andy @Moodyman plus others

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

anonymous

Regular
Basically anywhere within 1/2 mile of the town centre. Otherwise you should be OK.

North's Elland/Brighouse, south's Honley/Brockholes/Holmfirth (think Last of the Summer Wine), east's Mirfield/Kirkburton and west beyond Milnsbridge is fine.

Decent cycle lanes and greenways have/are being installed for riding, there's cycling clubs all over the place, etc. In terms of racing we've circuits in Elland, Leeds, Wakefield and Bradford as well.

There's not yet a specific cycle route between Huddersfield and Leeds - most use the A62 (busy) or go via Mirfield using the greenway for part of it. Wherever you go round Huddersfield there are hills though. Nothing nasty, unless you want them, but there are definitely hills.

That's my 2p-worth. We've other CC members on here from nearby as well ...

Thanks. I wasn't looking at actually riding a bike to Leeds / Manchester per se, however taking a foldable bike on a train, and potentially using that bike from there really

I was also looking at potentially getting an electric bike, purely because they're... quicker. I would still use the train however as well

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Worth bearing in mind that the fast trains between Huddersfield and Leeds or Manchester are operated by Trans-Pennine Express, who've recently introduced mandatory advanced reservations for bikes. Not sure how they'll apply that to folders, but something to consider.
Northern Fail, who operate the slower stopping services operate a no reservation, first come first served olicy for bikes and generally don't give two hoots about carrying bikes. But that relies on them actually running the train in the first place which is quite a problem at the moment...plus the stoppers are a lot slower and less frequent.

OP
OP
A

anonymous

Regular
Worth bearing in mind that the fast trains between Huddersfield and Leeds or Manchester are operated by Trans-Pennine Express, who've recently introduced mandatory advanced reservations for bikes. Not sure how they'll apply that to folders, but something to consider.
Northern Fail, who operate the slower stopping services operate a no reservation, first come first served olicy for bikes and generally don't give two hoots about carrying bikes. But that relies on them actually running the train in the first place which is quite a problem at the moment...plus the stoppers are a lot slower and less frequent.

Thanks. That's my main concern.... Ie: reserving the places. Also I'm well aware of how bloody awful Northern are now. I've lived both up north, and down south and before these changes, I rated them very highly. I'd say only TFL/Virgin trains were better than them before. Now they're almost as bad as southern rail...

My main issue is how exactly you'd book these advanced reservations when you've bought a season ticket?

classic33

Leg End Member
Northern Fail, who operate the slower stopping services operate a no reservation, first come first served policy for bikes and generally don't give two hoots about carrying bikes. But that relies on them actually running the train in the first place which is quite a problem at the moment...plus the stoppers are a lot slower and less frequent.
Northern, formerly Northern Rail, will soon be introducing a "no wheeled transport" policy at peak times. This follows on from the recent First TPE policy of not allowing wheelchairs in these periods, but announced earlier in the year. Set to come in next month, but that was before the "emergency timetable" was released.

In my experience, getting to Leeds from Halifax by rail took an hour and a half. By bike it was only an hour. Cycling was also quicker than driving.

At present, Northern have appear to have a few problems with their new ticketing service, so check your tickets before you travel.

@anonymous,
There are major roadworks planned for the next five to seven years around Elland.

If you want a busy train, try travelling through Halifax & Bradford in the morning, an estimated 4000 people get on or off at Halifax every day at this time.

If considering Huddersfield to Leeds, I'd use the A62 mentioned by @DCLane. Elland, via Park Road/Elland to Brighouse Road, onto Wakefield Road and then the A62. For what ever reason the A58 seems to be having problems of late, down as far as Chain Bar.

Drago

Legendary Member
The law is unlikely to change re leccy bikes speed. We're leaving the EU, so there will be little incentive to harmonise our leccy bike regs with some of the other other countries.

Top Bottom