Thinking of trying Cyclocross

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
clipless but practice getting on and off the bike (a lot) before you race. There are some useful videos online

Once I have healed from my accident I too am thinking of giving cyclo cross a go. Any recommendations on bikes? I am looking to spend about £1500. Also coming from a road background, what should I be looking to practice the most?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Also coming from a road background, what should I be looking to practice the most?

Initially you'll need to get the mounting/ dismounting bit worked out before racing. If you don't already do so then it will help to do a little running- most early season cross races won't involve a great deal of running (since more of the course will be rideable) so you can develop this as the season progresses.

I found the dismount fairly straightforward but getting the remount took longer, I found these videos useful (especially the tip that you aren't trying to jump into the saddle, just get your thigh onto it with a motion like kicking a football).

Also useful to practice sprinting out of corners.

Thanks for that, that will give me some bits to watch this week.
I see a lot of bikes have discs now, is there any major advantage or disadvantage to them or the cantilever calipers? I am looking at some of the focus Mares bikes at the moment and also the Caad X. I presume the cable operated bikes are not as good as the cable/hydraulic calipers?
I assume everyone uses SPD rather than spd sl pedals and cleats?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
'crossers use MTB type pedal systems. SPD are used widely. Also Time Atac, Crank Bros.

I'll let someone else comment on the brakes, I've only ever used Cantis.

ayceejay

Guru
Personally I find cantilever brakes a pain in the azz to adjust so perhaps discs will be easier on that score but I have yet to try them.
Incidentally there is another thread on this topic that you might want to look at.

I have a Claud Butler Dalesman touring bike with Tektro canti brakes, and plenty of clearance for mudguards etc.... it also has cross-style bar top levers... if I strip off the pannier racks, mudguards and all the other clutter, would it make a passable cross bike (at least to let me have a go?) I noticed one novice female rider at the first race I've ever watched was riding a Dawes Horizon similarly stripped...... I heard her taking some disparaging comments from someone later, but didn't hear the details.... any thoughts anyone ?

Top Bottom