This BB is done?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lauris

Hi so I took out my BB.
Its looks pretty toasted? Is that my creaking problem.
Please see pictures.
I think I need a replacement I took a picture what I have now. Not sure what to get. Its has threads from both sides.

Attachments

• 20201224_163513.jpg
    20201224_163513.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201224_163524.jpg
    20201224_163524.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201224_163729.jpg
    20201224_163729.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 9

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Yep, I'd say that is knackered.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
the second one will not work with your crankset, you need a square taper BB, as far as length goes if you cant see it on the old one due to corrosion etc just measure it from one end to another
1608829216608.png

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Make sure that you clean up the threads in the bottom bracket shell before you fit your new BB!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
if you do it yourself make sure you grease the threads of the frame. i also put some grease inside the non drive side cup where the BB goes in it ( if thats makes sense ) as i have had BB creaking there before now.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Although it's rusty on the outside housing it may be ok inside. Turn it see if you feel any roughness. Ideally you should try that when it's in the frame with a crank attached and feel for any play when moving it up and down. A small amount is okay.
Those threads in the shell should be fine once cleaned up with a wire brush and treated to a bit of grease.

Sharky

Guru
It's a sealed unit, so unable to tell from photos. First option is a good clean of the threads and put back in.

Never tried myself, but I've read that you can use plumbers tape on the threads to stop squeeking.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I took out my BB. Its looks pretty toasted? Is that my creaking problem.
I think I need a replacement . . . Not sure what to get.
I don't want to replace like for like, would want same type of BB but with an upgrade!
Shimano's best offering (@£20) for a square taper BB is the UN-300 (UN-55's replacement). OP needs an English thread and can measure the spindle on the extracted BB (well done for getting that out btw).
The extracted UN-26 is Shimano's lower model and the current version has a plastic threaded part on the left side (which is prone to failure).
I have just bought a Stronglight JP400 BB, and on cursory examination looks made to the same standard as the UN-55s I have:
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m16b0s110p140/STRONGLIGHT-JP400-Aluminium
Spa Cycles is an excellent shop.

Last edited:
Top Bottom