This bike costs £8599.99. Is it worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I was looking at some Bianci bikes when i saw this very expensive one. http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/46821/Bianchi_HoC_Oltre_Dura_Ace_Di2_Compact_2012_Bike Not that i was thinking of buying a new bike i was just browsing. I rarely see Bianci bikes on my travels but maybe i do but not in their traditional celeste colours? If i were to pay that much for a bike i'd like it to stand out! So why is it in matt black, and if someone gave you a voucher to spend £8599.99 on a bike would you buy this one?

screenman

Legendary Member
Well seeing as it is only £6879.99 then I would say it is a bargain and certainly I would buy one if that was my desire. Not keen on the black myself but my grown up kids ride black bikes.

vickster

Legendary Member
Including a very secure shed to keep them in! I was in the very poncy Pinarello and Assos shop at Westfield Stratford on Satureday, they have an 11k bike - think it was rather more interestingly coloured than matt black however

Zakalwe

It's matte black because the paint you generally find on frames weighs about 50g, putting a matte clearcoat without the paint underneath drops that to about 5-10g. It's a very, very good bike by all accounts, the Vacansoleil-DCM ride them on the pro circuit, but you'd expect it to be for the price. It's certainly not alone in that category, have a look at Wilier Zero.7, Pinarello Dogma2, BMC Teammachine etc.

Personally I probably wouldn't go for the Oltre, I'd prefer a Wilier Cento Uno SLR before they stop making them.

GrasB

Veteran
Like most bikes in that price range, you're paying for loads of sub-1w gains when you're pushing out >300w. For elite level athletes in the competitive arena that makes a difference for everyone else it's pointless. If I had £8600 to spend I'd be looking to buy 3 bikes or 2 high-spec race-day bikes.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
As GrasB said, with bikes like this, you are paying more and more for less and less in terms of gains per pound spent. Most of those gain's so small a mere mortal wouldn't notice. Many of the high end pro level bikes cost this much. As for colour, well IMO Matte Black looks very nice, Bianchi Celeste is a disgusting colour so Matte Black is much more preferable.

I would not buy this bike, if I was going to buy a super high spec bike because I was LOADED and wanted to willy wave, it would be a Cannondale or a Cervelo.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I was looking at some Bianci bikes when i saw this very expensive one. http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/46821/Bianchi_HoC_Oltre_Dura_Ace_Di2_Compact_2012_Bike Not that i was thinking of buying a new bike i was just browsing. I rarely see Bianci bikes on my travels but maybe i do but not in their traditional celeste colours? If i were to pay that much for a bike i'd like it to stand out! So why is it in matt black, and if someone gave you a voucher to spend £8599.99 on a bike would you buy this one?

I actually looked at buying that very bike, the colours never put me off at all. Having something which is understated is a bonus from my experience as if it stands out people think you are trying to be flash and judge you on it. I like the minimalistic colour schemes and as previously stated paint adds weight to the bike. The thing which put me off it was riding it. The bike never brought a smile to my face. As such I ended up buying a S-Works Di2 Venge instead which does make me smile.

Mr Haematocrit

Why do some people believe that if your bike was not purchased with the assistance of a C2W scheme or with a social security cheque you are willy waving?
people are in different financial situations, and buy the best bike they can respective to their situations. Nobody attempts to buy a bad bike.. A different financial situation does not make anyone better or worse than anyone else.
Cycling should be about enjoying the activity above all else. The value of the bike, the kit they wear, how fast you are really does not matter in the bigger picture. We really need to stop putting negative labels on other cyclists.

Mr Haematocrit

I think you are reading into this a bit too much, me and GrasB are just mucking around.

Perhaps so :shy: I'm a sensitive old soul.... But equally I have been accused of this very thing.. But I have never waved it to anyone other the SWMBO (but that's another story and not suitable for a family forum)

buying a bike of any value is fine - if you've got the money, go for it - it's good for the economy. But as said above, you will get a diminishing return for the more you spend...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd certainly buy one, but not the black, and not Shimano on an Italian frame. Celeste or the red colour scheme. Super Record EPS !

Not that I have the cash though !

Top Bottom