This bike costs £8599.99. Is it worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
I like black bikes, especially matte black - it would be my colour of choice. Wouldn't spend more than £2000 on a bike though - what's the point unless you want to look like a complete tosser! Give the money to charity if you really need to get rid of it.

Wouldn't spend more than £2000 on a bike though - what's the point unless you want to look like a complete tosser!

gotta love those sweeping statements....

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Roughly how much will the top professional riders bikes cost? I've seen that Sky sell off their last seasons bikes for about 3,500 minus wheels and pedals so say 4,500 all told. Is that less than they would originaly cost because they are second hand or more than they would originaly cost because they have been used by famous pro riders?

the cost doesn't really compare, because a) if they have to buy something, they will not pay retail and b) most of the stuff is free anyway..

Cyclopathic

Veteran
if you can afford it and will enjoy it then it's money well spent
Compared to cars it is a relatively cheap way of being able to own the very pinnacle of design and performance. You might never be able to afford a Ferrari but 5,6 or 7 grand could well be achievable for something that has that level of sophistication. Compared to so many other things as well as cars, bikes represent darned good value. Even I could if I saved up have such a machine. (In theory at least. I'm sure my O.H. would have something to say before I could spend 8 grand on a bike, but in theory I could.)

lejogger

Guru
If I look at a picture of such a machine and find my top lip curling into a snarl and a low gutteral growl emitting from my depths then safe to say it's something that I'd definitely be interesting in having. I think that bike, in that colour, looks fantastic.

I'm colour blind so by instinct I default to white, black, and grey because I know I can trust them! I've bought too many purple shirts thinking that they're blue to make the same mistake with a bike!

I don't have that money to spend on a bike but some people do, and I certainly don't begrudge them buying the best that's available to them. That's the great thing about cycling though, like golf and other sports it doesn't always matter what kit you have, I could still go faster on my Boardman that a lot of guys could go on that, while there are a lot of guys who could go faster on a late 1980s Raleigh Lizard than I can on my Boardman... you don't HAVE to have the best gear to be competitive but if having it makes you feel good then what's the harm?

Incidentally, the wheelset is worth over £1,250, but imagine the price with a couple of Zipp 808 firecrests on there!

GrasB

Veteran
gotta love those sweeping statements....
I just priced up my geared training bike. Replacement cost - £2300 give or take. It's just been built from the ground up with bomb proof components which suit me ergonomically & SRAM Force groupset. I'd never considered how much it cost till I did a little totting up of everything.

I just priced up my geared training bike. Replacement cost - £2300 give or take. It's just been built from the ground up with bomb proof components which suit me ergonomically & SRAM Force groupset. I'd never considered how much it cost till I did a little totting up of everything.

I know what you mean. Using the 'tundragumski' formula, I am now officially a complete to55er... ;)

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
i'd have two of these instead. one in yellow and one in Celeste (or whatever Yeti call it) yum.

2012_SB66ProfileYellow.jpg

e-rider

crappy member
I know what you mean. Using the 'tundragumski' formula, I am now officially a complete to55er... ;)

okay, I'll retract my earlier statement - the point I was making really referred to those guys who turn up to a club training ride on very expensive bikes only to get dropped 20 miles in. What's the point of having a very expensive bike if you are an average (or below average) rider - you get no advantage from riding it. It's a case of all the gear but no idea! £2k bikes suit most club riders IMO.

okay, I'll retract my earlier statement - the point I was making really referred to those guys who turn up to a club training ride on very expensive bikes only to get dropped 20 miles in. What's the point of having a very expensive bike if you are an average (or below average) rider - you get no advantage from riding it. It's a case of all the gear but no idea! £2k bikes suit most club riders IMO.

I understand the sentiment, but look at it another way. A guy is keen enough on cycling to a) buy an expensive bike and b) get involved in club cycling. Fitness issues can easily be fixed. What's not to like..?

People like that should not be ridiculed - they should be positively encouraged, IMO...

GrasB

Veteran
To quote a friend of mine - "When I turn up on a forty five hundred pound bike & get dropped like a stone there's no place to hide. There is only one thing that is the problem, that is me."

Top Bottom