This Chromebook - keyboard?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://store.acer.com/en-gb/acer-chromebook-311-c722-black

The updates on my small chromebook run out soon so need another one.

Have two acer chromebooks and like them as they have nice keyboards.

Anyone by chance got this one and can comment on the keyboard?

I ask as it can be damn hard to actually see/touch such kit these days before buying and though distance selling regs allow you to return stuff on a change of mind/you decide you don't like, some companies like you to jump through lots of hoops - for all I know with some, getting it out of the packaging for a tinker/fondle might count as using it/making it unsaleable.

Has android apps which my current little one won't handle, despite promises from google that it would.

am happy with a small screen for general use and i find this size ideal for ramming in a touring pannier or walking round town with.

Drago

Legendary Member
Mini D has that exact model. Bought it for her so she could do the online classes during lockdown.

Keyboard is ok, typical compact modern short travel job. Not the best youll find, but perfectly useable.

Leet me know if you bave any specific questions.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Mini D has that exact model. Bought it for her so she could do the online classes during lockdown.

Keyboard is ok, typical compact modern short travel job. Not the best youll find, but perfectly useable.

Leet me know if you bave any specific questions.
oo thanks drago - i wasn't really expecting anyone to be intimate with the particular one.
My current small one is the CB3 -131 which I got new a fair while ago for £99 - I'm quite fussy about keyboards and pretty heavy handed, but I guess that mine would be defined as "short travel" as well - but I really like it. So seems as if they haven't downgraded the keyboard.

My current one actually does everything I need it to do, apart from updates ending, and I actually prefer it to my substantially bigger metal cased one - it's tough enough, been carted around a lot including bounced around in panniers.

Can I ask if there are any issues with yours at all?

Where did you get it by the way?

I seem to have seen conflcting info on slots but I think it has more "traditional" USB ports, at least one, plus the newer things?

Any card slot?

thanks again

OP
OP
Blue Hills
My limited experience suggests Asus kit is slightly better made than Acer.

Currys offer both, so may have some to play with in their shops.

This Asus looks cheap and reasonable.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...tel-celeron-32-gb-emmc-grey-10199890-pdt.html

Thanks for the reply pale rider but the updates run out on that well before the acer.

Note to anyone considering a chromebook - important to consult this:

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en#zippy=,asus

Drago

Legendary Member
oo thanks drago - i wasn't really expecting anyone to be intimate with the particular one.
My current small one is the CB3 -131 which I got new a fair while ago for £99 - I'm quite fussy about keyboards and pretty heavy handed, but I guess that mine would be defined as "short travel" as well - but I really like it. So seems as if they haven't downgraded the keyboard.

My current one actually does everything I need it to do, apart from updates ending, and I actually prefer it to my substantially bigger metal cased one - it's tough enough, been carted around a lot including bounced around in panniers.

Can I ask if there are any issues with yours at all?

Where did you get it by the way?

I seem to have seen conflcting info on slots but I think it has more "traditional" USB ports, at least one, plus the newer things?

Any card slot?

thanks again
We got it from Argoos.

No problems thus far, although its been lightly used.

Shes not at home, but if my elderly memory serves it has a couple of conventional USB ports, and something make me thing also a USB C port like modern mobile phones.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Thanks again @Drago
I bought it - £170.
Seems to be a bit of confusion in online specs but mine just has a single USB port and a USB - C for power input, which could also be used of course for recharging from a powerbank.
Single USB port is of slight concern (failure risk) but can almost certainly live with - old one had several ports and a card reader, but I rarely use a card and can always use a USB card reader. USB-C power very welcome.
It's a tough old beast, big battery, currently showing battery life well north of 15 hours, possibly above 20.
Thanks for your info on keyboard - I took a risk - it is slightly different maybe from my existing one but of similar decent quality - perfectly usable.

Drago

Legendary Member
Aye, its stood up well to systematic abuse and neglectmof a 10 year old.

Once youyre ised to the quirks the Chromebooks are actually rather good. You have to spend a good bit more to get a PC laptop as capable and which lau ches as speedily.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Once youyre ised to the quirks the Chromebooks are actually rather good. You have to spend a good bit more to get a PC laptop as capable and which lau ches as speedily.
agree - I have to be dragged back screaming to my windows laptop - I only ever use it for the very odd garmin task - update of software etc or installing POIs (god knows why they can't make that capability run on a chromebook) - everything else, including bike routing and chucking routes onto the garmin is done on the chromebooks.

Top Bottom