This fixed wheel "craze" and silly prices for "bitsa" fixies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big John

Guru
Those that are already converted will wax lyrical over the virtues of riding fixed but in the end it's just a feeling that is hard to put into words. You have to try it yourself and see. They genuinely ARE different.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
User3143 said:
:biggrin: Doing over 180rpm? I must confess to unclipping and just resting my feet on the down tube when it comes to some downhills.:rofl:

I live in Suffolk Lee , not many hills round here where you could get near that rpm :thumbsup:

longers

Legendary Member
^ I get the chance every day on the commute, sometimes I take the opportunity, sometimes not.

I'm in Oldham Goldie and if you wanted to have a test ride of mine, it could be arranged no problem.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Goldie said:
Harry Hall's in Manchester would happily have half a grand off me for one.

:tongue: I spent double that.......:biggrin: (CTW scheme)...

Pros - bugger all maintenance compared to a geared bike...(from someone who does lots of maintenance/cleaning), good training, can climb better than a similar gear on a road bike (limitations though where I live due to gradients), mine looks like a road bike, not a 'fixie'....so lack street cred, but who cares.

Cons...no gears....may have to pick routes..... ahem but the CC fixie ride in March wasn't flat was it folks.....:sad:

Parts wise in a year....

2 chains, 1 sprocket, 2 sets pads, 1 rear wheel rim/re-build (I still brake with the rear/also hit a pot hole) and a new tyre...., 1 set rear bearings that's it....

Cost per part.... £89 for rim/spokes and rebuild, tyre £35, sprocket £15 (ish), pads £14 set, chain £13, bearings £5.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
fossyant said:
Pros - bugger all maintenance compared to a geared bike...(from someone who does lots of maintenance/cleaning)

Cons...no gears.

the ebay bike at the very start of this thread (was it a rudge?) would have had bugger all maintainance compared to a d*r**ll**r geared bike, and yet not suffered from the cons of having no gears. ;)

Top Bottom