This has got to be a scam.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Nobody's coming to your door with an envelope full of fivers.

It's a Sunday, have some fun.
  1. Say yes to dear Christine
  2. She will ask for your name, address and email address.
  3. Provide her with false full name, false address and false email address
  4. She will come back and tell you that the email address is not working.
  5. Tell her you will check and get back to her shortly
  6. Go back in 2 minutes and say it is correct and it's the only email and you have had it for years.
  7. She will comeback to you to say it still does not work.
  8. Tell her that you will provide your wife's email address and say that your wife is out shopping and be back in 2 hours.
  9. You should get another message in 2 hrs time chasing you for the wife's email.
  10. Then repeat steps 5 to 9 until she gets fed up.
  11. Always give the sense that you are desperate to get the money for the jacket.
  12. If she doubts your "sincerity" accuse her of welching on her original intent of buying.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It plays on greed:

Seller advertises worthless tat at an inflated price (@stephec is obviously an exception here, that was a quality Barbour jacket at a fair price ;) )
Seller gets a quick offer from buyer.
Seller feels great. I've got one over on that foolish buyer. What a sucker, fancy paying £50 for my underpants. I can't wait to get hold of that £50.
Seller gets an email request for £1 from "UPS". Thinks that's small price to pay for fleecing the buyer, what a mastermind I am.
Seller ignores the fact that the email is full of spelling errors and incredibly dodgy, clicks link goes to website and enters their full CC details to pay £1. Now that is out of the way, I need only wait for the man with the cash. Millionaire by Christmas.
Seller waits for the man to turn up ... and waits ...

There was no £1 transaction. Meanwhile in scammo central another credit card is available.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
But what is the scam

you get the cash - check it is all there - go and get the jacket and hand it over - video the whole thing as evidence
You have proof that it has all happened but they don't

so - maybe they claim they never got the jacket? demand a refund from Marketplace??
UPS person is not real??
they turn up with less money - but then you can just refuse to get the jacket - but it does put pressure on you to accept the lower price
Fake money?

dunno - anyone seen this is real life and how it goes down??

Not this exact situation, but:

I had a motorbike for sale. A chap rang me, said he would buy it, and collect next day, and would pay online. Later in the day, he rang me back to say that due to unforeseen circumstances, he could not collect next day, but, would pay me online, right then, if I kept bike until the day after the original collection day. I was doubtful, given scam stories, but, after a bit of thought, agreed. Sure enough, full asking price into my account, within minutes, and he turned up to collect bike two days later. No problems.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
It's a Sunday, have some fun.
  1. Say yes to dear Christine
  2. She will ask for your name, address and email address.
  3. Provide her with false full name, false address and false email address
  4. She will come back and tell you that the email address is not working.
  5. Tell her you will check and get back to her shortly
  6. Go back in 2 minutes and say it is correct and it's the only email and you have had it for years.
  7. She will comeback to you to say it still does not work.
  8. Tell her that you will provide your wife's email address and say that your wife is out shopping and be back in 2 hours.
  9. You should get another message in 2 hrs time chasing you for the wife's email.
  10. Then repeat steps 5 to 9 until she gets fed up.
  11. Always give the sense that you are desperate to get the money for the jacket.
  12. If she doubts your "sincerity" accuse her of welching on her original intent of buying.

I was so tempted but I've got to do a water change on my fish tank that will take me over an hour.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
It plays on greed:

Seller advertises worthless tat at an inflated price (@stephec is obviously an exception here, that was a quality Barbour jacket at a fair price ;) )
Seller gets a quick offer from buyer.
Seller feels great. I've got one over on that foolish buyer. What a sucker, fancy paying £50 for my underpants. I can't wait to get hold of that £50.
Seller gets an email request for £1 from "UPS". Thinks that's small price to pay for fleecing the buyer, what a mastermind I am.
Seller ignores the fact that the email is full of spelling errors and incredibly dodgy, clicks link goes to website and enters their full CC details to pay £1. Now that is out of the way, I need only wait for the man with the cash. Millionaire by Christmas.
Seller waits for the man to turn up ... and waits ...

There was no £1 transaction. Meanwhile in scammo central another credit card is available.

I think it's a good price as well but I've not had any other offers yet. 😊

classic33

Leg End Member
Oh ye of little faith, it's not half two yet. 😂
You'll get paid in Euro's not pounds.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Yeah, scam works as they "need you to pay £50 insurance" that will be reimbursed when the item is (never) collected.

I had one of these the other day; thought I'd have some fun with them and see how low they'd go. I intimated that I was down to my last £50 which I needed for my ill child's medication. Kept dicking them about and eventually was told I was a terrible mother (!) and that I'd be going to jail after they'd sued me for failing to pay them the £50 they'd spent in insurance costs. Before that the parasite even told me "don't worry, everything's going to be OK" when they thought they were defrauding me of the last of my money :rolleyes:

I've got another on the hook currently; not quite sure how to go with this one. Open to suggestions :tongue:

Top Bottom