This helmet could save your life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I genuinely hope this does not turn into a debate upon the effectiveness of helmets, but I'm sure we can all agree that being visible and having decent lights is important when riding during the darker winter months.
I have always been concerned about mounting torches and similar on helmets as they have the potential to pierce the helmet and ultimately your head.

I thought this was an interesting concept from a lighting perspective alone

7066412713_0b8992d05e.jpg

6913038838_86bc364ea5.jpg

http://www.torchapparel.com

What's your thought on it,
I'm curious for people who choose not to wear helmets if they would consider wearing this device and if not for what reason.

Disclaimer ... I have no issue with people wearing or not wearing helmets its really your choice but I am interested to know if the lighting of this product which may increase safety would interest non helmet wearers.

Personally i don't commute so i wouldn't use it but i think for the everyday commuter it would be a reasonable choice. Front and rear lights in one easy to mount piece of gear. It's simple.
It would obviously need other lighting for dark road usage though.
I think it would be a great idea if you could plug in and recharge it after several rides or similar. With the, debatable added advantage of head protection, i think it has a place in the night time city streets. IMO of course. I also state the same disclaimer V uses above. :whistle:

Sara_H

Guru
Most of the reasons I dont wear a helmet would apply to this product too - they make me hot and sweaty, and theres evidence that suggest they increase the risk of some kinds of injury in te event of a crash.

Hmm - their promo video.

"Maintaining a subtle urban style" is NO replacement for lights on the bike.

If I'm driving, I really don't want to be spending time wondering wt* that "thing" in front may be, just cos it's a cyclist (sensibly) looking behind him.

Not impressed.

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

........., and theres evidence that suggest they increase the risk of some kinds of injury in te event of a crash.

Not looking to start an argument or come across as a pro helmet advocate, just really interested in sensible debate and new approaches to problems......... Have you considered that the potential safety advantages of being well lit may on balance reduce the possibility of being involved in an accident of some kind?
Just curious.

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

[QUOTE 2156989, member: 45"]There are plenty of helmets available with lights in the back already. Decathlon do some around the £20 mark.[/quote]

Ohh I was not aware of this, do you have any experience of them of feel they have any additional value through being illuminated?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
errrr maybe.
It looks like it could be wighty due too the extra stifness required in the structure, plus the batteries. Ventilation is appaling by the looks of it.
I've used a headtorch tie-wrapped to a helmet and there are some very small lights available for the rear that weigh nothing. Though a head torch is more snaggy.

green1

Über Member
Not looking to start an argument or come across as a pro helmet advocate, just really interested in sensible debate and new approaches to problems......... Have you considered that the potential safety advantages of being well lit may on balance reduce the possibility of being involved in an accident of some kind?
Just curious.
I don't see what difference have lights on a helmet would make, If the lights were on the I'd have 3 lights turned on on my bike (1 forward, 2 @ back one flashing) if a driver can't seem them what difference is lights on a helmet going to make?

Recycle

Über Member
I thought this was an interesting concept from a lighting perspective alone
Disclaimer ... I have no issue with people wearing or not wearing helmets its really your choice but I am interested to know if the lighting of this product which may increase safety would interest non helmet wearers.
From a legal perspective you must have lights fixed to the bike (for riding in the dark) so this could only complement any existing lighting set-up.

The problem with head mounted lights is that the rider can "disappear" to other traffic when they look around.

Norm

I don't see what difference have lights on a helmet would make, If the lights were on the I'd have 3 lights turned on on my bike (1 forward, 2 @ back one flashing) if a driver can't seem them what difference is lights on a helmet going to make?
That's easy, they are visible over the roof of cars. If you are, for instance, filtering past a queue, someone pulling out / across your lane might see the helmet light. :thumbsup:

Head mounted lights are also good because they can be directed so alternating them towards then away from drivers gives the 'looming' effect which makes you appear a threat to them.

snorri

Legendary Member
Dangerous idea.:sad:
As a pedestrian I look for lights at a lower level and prefer them to be at handlebar height, not up in the air. The law requires bicycles to have lights for a good reason.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
If it was used in addition to lights on a bike then I think in principle it is not a bad idea and think it is much better idea than bolting something else to the helmet.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Hmm - their promo video.

"Maintaining a subtle urban style" is NO replacement for lights on the bike.

If I'm driving, I really don't want to be spending time wondering wt* that "thing" in front may be, just cos it's a cyclist (sensibly) looking behind him.

Not impressed.
I thought your main bike lights had to be at a certain height anyway ?
The front light must be mounted up to 1500mm (1.5 metres) high, measured from the ground

The light must be fitted at or towards the rear of the bicycle at a height of between 350mm and 1500mm from the ground
I think as an additional light its a good idea but no means meant to be used as your only light as shown from the picture which if you felt enough about it could contact the company ............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom