This intro is too long, I should be pedalling...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

My name's Andy and I live in Gloucestershire. I have gone from fatso to cycling addict.

Until I was about 25 I always quite enjoyed cycling. Between 2008 and 2011 I decided to get into cars and cycling disappeared from my life. I gradually put on weight :-(

In 2011 I decided I was getting too fat. I declared my car SORN and started cycling a 26.3 mile round trip each day. My road bike needed work I couldn't afford, so I rode a 1990s Raleigh Atlanta mountain bike.

I got my road bike (2007 Orbea Asphalt) repaired in August 2011 and started riding that to work and using it on weekends for 20 - 40 mile rides by myself. I ride on Bontrager Hardcase tyres which I find slow but bulletproof.

I always wave to fellow cyclists and it's always nice to get a 'hello' back. I ride no matter what the weather and I know who the fair weather riders are. I always ask those I pass while silly commuter racing if they want to grab a wheel. There's only one person who doesn't wave back/say hello, I'm going to keep waving at him until he relents to my unwavering happiness. I suspect he's putting in so much effort to his cycling because he's a fair-weather cyclist - he needs to give it 150% because he only rides 25% of the time.

I found I was losing weight during the week but putting some back on in the weekends - I was still eating pizza, crisps, chips, burgers and the like. I cut out junk food and most carbs and the weight started to drop again.

I've lost over 3 stone. I no longer feel like I'm on course for a heart attack, I have legs I'm proud of and now my bike holds me back.

On 30/7/2012 I placed an order for a Ribble Sportive 7046 Curved with a Tiagra compact groupset. I 'upgraded' to the optional ITM Aero 2.4 wheelset and a carbon seatpost. I have a set of gatorskins ready to go on it as soon as it arrives!

Since around April I have been working a second job (so I work 7 days per week) which is 16 miles from home, I cycle there too.

On days when I have to use the car I feel like I'm cheating on my legs and on the bike, I only drive places when I absolutely MUST.

I'm looking to expand my road bike collection. If you're not a million miles from Gloucestershire and you have cycling kit/a bike/parts such as wheels you'd like to sell then let me know! I'd quite like something classic, something for Winter and something carbon.

Cheers!
Andy

Col5632

Guru
:welcome: to the site, sounds like you do a fair amount of cycling :bicycle: Good for you deciding to loose weight and use the car alot less :thumbsup:

Hello Andy and welcome to CC. Nice intro, BTW.

Glad that you've seen the light and become addicted, like the vast majority of folk here.

Plenty to be gleaned, learned and laughed at here, so make yourself comfy: your evenings on here will be long!

OP
OP
A

andyaldrich

Thanks for the welcomes guys.

Good news: I called Ribble today to see when I should expect my bike and was told it is currently being built!

Bad news: Looks like I messed up my order on the Ribble site, so I will just be getting the standard (non-compact) Tiagra 4600 cassette, an alloy seatpost and the standard Rodi Airline 4 Clinchers. This isn't a big deal as I can just upgrade these items at my local bike shop.

HovR

Über Member
Welcome to the site! Congratulations on loosing the weight!

OP
OP
A

andyaldrich

My new bike arrived a couple of days ago...
ddRwh.jpg

defy-one

A very uplifting story. Well done on losing weight and discovering cycling all over again. Your tale is the same as many of us here.
I'm now doing 44 mile commutes into London twice/thrice a week and loving it!!!
Welcome :smile:

Top Bottom