This is a FULL box of soap powder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The theory is that if you fill up when it is cold, the fuel is more dense, so a gallon of dense fuel is more than a gallon of fuel when the ambient temperature is warmer.:whistle:

That's part of it, but it can also affect the measurement, and the audit of the measurement that sets the pump tolerance. There's also the issue of the quality of the fuel used. As a quick test, put some in a petrol lighter, and see what colour the flame burns. Sometimes the lower cost isn't the most economical.

screenman

Legendary Member
The theory is that if you fill up when it is cold, the fuel is more dense, so a gallon of dense fuel is more than a gallon of fuel when the ambient temperature is warmer.:whistle:

Not sure I have enough to last until summer though, also the fuel in the tank underground is much the same temperature year round. Now expansion rates, interesting that one, about .015% So about 9p per gallon difference from max to minimum. I cannot remember when weights and measured check my pumps when I had a petrol station if they checked temperature as well. ^_^

Not sure I have enough to last until summer though, also the fuel in the tank underground is much the same temperature year round. Now expansion rates, interesting that one, about .015% So about 9p per gallon difference from max to minimum. I cannot remember when weights and measured check my pumps when I had a petrol station if they checked temperature as well. ^_^

You'll be okay, just set the vapour recovery system to suck a bit harder, and resell the fumes. :okay:

BITD they used to chill the fuel put into F1 racing cars so they could get more into the tank. The tank had a maximum volume, but by cooling the fuel by a fair bit, the teams could get more in, so they could run richer mixtures during the race and not run out.

Of course now the rules are different. Fuel is a control fuel rather than an exotic mixture, and it's now 100kg at, I think, 20C.

Although if Ferrari were running increased fuel rates last year etc, then the bods at the FIA had to be complicit somewhere, and it was more than 100kg of fuel at a temperature lower than 20C...

Drago

Legendary Member
Going off topic, but sort of on topic, there's speculation that Ferrari were manipulating the breathers so oil vapour itself was being burned as a fuel at high engine loads. I suspect their road cars do much the same after 20 or 30 thousand miles.

Going off topic, but sort of on topic, there's speculation that Ferrari were manipulating the breathers so oil vapour itself was being burned as a fuel at high engine loads. I suspect their road cars do much the same after 20 or 30 thousand miles.
I wonder how they disguised the smell of burning oil ? :whistle:

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
1608807636365.png
This is the picture online. The one for sale on the shelf is half empty. Product enhancement.

gbb

Legendary Member
Sold by weight not volume, there's probably an e mark next to the declared weight to confirm it.

Although considering the amount of boxes produced, how much could the manufacturer save on cardboard if the reduced the height of the box by 2"?
Just as a qualifier or background regarding the e symbol, there are very strict and legal tolerances allowed when applying it . There are two specific tolerances T1 (lets call it ideal weight) and T2 (underweight but only by a small amount) . There is a small percentage (say 2 to 5%)) that are allowed between T1 and T2 but nothing should be allowed below T2.
The idea is that most packs may be slightly overweight, a small amount of underweight is acceptable. This is done for efficiency in packing.
So even if you get an underweight pack, it's not underweight by much and it wont happen very often.

I was offered a product by a company that was covered in British Standard and various other approvals.

As I had doubts about the claims in the literature, I checked them out. Most were either from meaningless organisations, or meaningless things. The nearest that had any relevance was a British Standard that related to the packaging.

None of them related to the product itself. I never received a reply to my request for clarification.

stephec

Legendary Member
Just as a qualifier or background regarding the e symbol, there are very strict and legal tolerances allowed when applying it . There are two specific tolerances T1 (lets call it ideal weight) and T2 (underweight but only by a small amount) . There is a small percentage (say 2 to 5%)) that are allowed between T1 and T2 but nothing should be allowed below T2.
The idea is that most packs may be slightly overweight, a small amount of underweight is acceptable. This is done for efficiency in packing.
So even if you get an underweight pack, it's not underweight by much and it wont happen very often.
2.5% here, and 2% in mainland Europe.

I had to go on a course at work to be allowed to certify some of our weighing equipment to MID standards, it's really thrilling, but luckily not many companies over here take it up as it adds about three to four hours to a commissioning job, and the ones that do have it tend to br where the whole production line has been bought from a European installer.

Top Bottom