This is a FULL box of soap powder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Light, powdery granular stuff like washing powder settles an awful lot when jiggled in transit! When it was packed it probably did come up much higher, but as long as you're getting the weight you paid for, then no foul. Crisps and Alpen are known for it too.

Drago

Legendary Member
OT: "Mars Bar's current size is another surprising revelation, having increased 4g since the 1960s to reach 65g in the 1990s. But that was its peak: it’s since shrunk back down to 51g."
Bitd there was a long term offer in the local market (and no doubt elsewhere): two proper sized Mars Bars for 10 pence (bought individually they cost 7 pence (rrp). Trouble was that, buying 2 for 10p wasn't a saving; for obvious reasons, unless one was prepared to surrender the second to a friend and judged your genoerosity would be recognised as worth more than 3p (I wasn't).
Oh, but if you believe Mars they have done this in the fight against obesity.

So they sell a sugar rich chocolate, nougat and caramel snack as part of a fight against obesity, eh? It's chuffing insulting that they think we're that stupid.

stephec

Legendary Member
Oh, but if you believe Mars they have done this in the fight against obesity.

So they sell a sugar rich chocolate, nougat and caramel snack as part of a fight against obesity, eh? It's chuffing insulting that they think we're that stupid.
And it's even more hilarious that they don't think we'll notice that the price stays the same instead of coming down.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
This reminds me of a guy I used to work with who seemed to moan about the lack of crisps in a packet everytime he opened them. 😄
Reminds me of one of those inside the factory type programmes where they showed the machine Walkers use to make sure you get at least 25g in your pack but as little more as possible. Imagine a cylinder, something like an oil drum standing on its end, with 12 pivoted horizontal flaps set around its top edge, each holding a random crisp. The machine dumps a pre-weighed 'nearly 25g' serving of crisps through the ring of flaps and into the middle, then a computer works out exactly how short of 25g it is, and which one of the 12 waiting 'flap-crisps' is the smallest 'extra crisp' that will just take it over the 25g, and flips that flap. Then that batch gets bagged, and the next 'nearly 25g' portion is dumped. Needless to say, this all happens in a fraction of a second. Dump-flip, dump-flip, dump-flip...It's quite mesmerising. And, IMHO, brilliant.

stephec

Legendary Member
Reminds me of one of those inside the factory type programmes where they showed the machine Walkers use to make sure you get at least 25g in your pack but as little more as possible. Imagine a cylinder, something like an oil drum standing on its end, with 12 pivoted horizontal flaps set around its top edge, each holding a random crisp. The machine dumps a pre-weighed 'nearly 25g' serving of crisps through the ring of flaps and into the middle, then a computer works out exactly how short of 25g it is, and which one of the 12 waiting 'flap-crisps' is the smallest 'extra crisp' that will just take it over the 25g, and flips that flap. Then that batch gets bagged, and the next 'nearly 25g' portion is dumped. Needless to say, this all happens in a fraction of a second. Dump-flip, dump-flip, dump-flip...It's quite mesmerising. And, IMHO, brilliant.
Multihead weighers, I've seen plenty in action.

They've recently had some installed that can knock out upto 140 x 25g bags per minute with an accuracy of less than +/- 1g, they're quite impressive.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Here's the rub!

Washing powder is sold by weight and contents may settle. We are then told to dose our washing by volume..... A wholly inaccurate state of affairs which means more settlement of the product is advantageous to the sales of the powder but leads to overdosing and greater environmental damage due to the excessive detergent being dumped down the drain.
Maybe we should be told an amount in grams to be added to each wash?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yeh, and don't get me started on the size of Mars bars in those 4 packs once you've removed all the packaging.
At least Mick Jagger is not complaining now he's a bit older :ohmy:

gbb

Legendary Member
One thing manufacturers (ime) have learned is space, especially unused space, costs money when in a lorry. So it surprises me they are effectively paying to transport air.
It may be a filling necessity at the factory (although that's surprise me too)
It may be a deliberate 'bling' thing, the size catches the eye.
It may be a convenience thing for the end user, less spillage when the box is 'full' as you tip it in the machine.

It's probably a bit of most of those things.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
... but leads to overdosing and greater environmental damage due to the excessive detergent being dumped down the drain.
Forgive an off topic post, but on that subject... I was just catching up on old editions of the BBC's Click tech show and one featured a farm technology centre in Australia. One of the things I liked was a crop spraying system. It was the kind of thing we have seen before - a big boom either side of a tractor with pesticide/herbicide sprays along each boom. The difference here was that instead of all the sprays being on all of the time and blitzing the entire field, they were controlled by a computer system which looked at video images from cameras on the booms and only sprayed weeds etc. They reckoned they could often reduce spray use by 95+%. :smile:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
One thing manufacturers (ime) have learned is space, especially unused space, costs money when in a lorry.
Brings to mind an old story about Ray Kroc - the man behind McDonalds and the reason, reportedly, why bulk liquids are now delivered in square containers. One of Kroc’s colleagues said: “Ray used to watch the milk being delivered. It came in on pallets, in round plastic barrels. Anyone would look at that pallet and see the barrels of milk. Ray would look at it and see the space between the barrels. It used to drive him crazy.”

Top Bottom