This Is odd?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
I have a rather odd tale to tell.

I have a new Bad Boy 2 hybrid with Kojak 28cc tyres fitted and a road bike with Durroguard 23cc tyres fitted and a standard foot pump and due to my bantum weight I'm happy with 6.5 bar at rear and 6 bar on the front.. so all OK at the moment.

So now I've changed the Kojaks on the hybrid for Gatorskins 25cc tyres and new tubes (23cc/25cc.)

The funny thing now is I can only pump up the Gatorskins to 3 bar and the tyre is at maxed out but the tyre is rock hard.

I let the front tyre down on my road bike and pumped it up to 6 bar then let the Gatorskin down but maxed out at 3 bar again..
So its the same pump but I cant get past 3 bar but its still rock hard on 3 bar.

PS.. On the Gatorskin box it said pump tyres a too minimum 6.5 and max at 8 bar.. but I cant?
Anyway I road the Bad Boy and all seems well.. well amazing really.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Have you checked your gauge on the pump is accurate?

akb

Veteran
My guess is inner tube valve. I brought some innertubes from Go Outdoors on a whim and all three of them had issues with the valvue in that the pin was stuck once you achieved a certain pressure.

Ningishzidda

Pump the tyres up.

Lean over the bike's saddle and put all your weight on it.
How much do the tyres budge out sideways?

If the tyres are at 3 bar ( 43 psi ), they will flare out like they're flat.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
My guess is inner tube valve. I brought some innertubes from Go Outdoors on a whim and all three of them had issues with the valvue in that the pin was stuck once you achieved a certain pressure.

The more I'm thinking about it the more I think its the valves/ tubes are duff.

akb

Veteran
What tubes are they?

Also, it maybe time to upgrade to a decent track pump with gauge? I upgraded from foot pump and makes a lot of difference?

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Pump the tyres up.

Lean over the bike's saddle and put all your weight on it.
How much do the tyres budge out sideways?

If the tyres are at 3 bar ( 43 psi ), they will flare out like they're flat.

I did lean the over the bike as suggested and all is well and I went for a long ride and it seemed OK..

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
What tubes are they?

Also, it maybe time to upgrade to a decent track pump with gauge? I upgraded from foot pump and makes a lot of difference?

When I got the Gartorskins (25cc) they were on offer so I got 2 Gatorskins and 5 tubes Conti's so they might be old stock or something like that.
The other thing I noticed when they arrived is that they are 42mm valves not 60mm which are a bit short but should'nt make any difference I would of thought. :smile:
Plus a new pump might be in order as you say.

Top Bottom