This long reach brake thing is annoying me now

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
A whole week I have been scouring the web looking for quality brakes that will fit a Kinesis TK2 frame. I thought to myself "TK2 looks good, proper road bike but will be good in autumn with thick tyres, and good in winter with studded"

However finding suitable brakes for heavy rain seems nigh on impossible. I have found 3. Yes three, and they all have mixed reviews. It seems stopping power with long reach brakes is somewhat along the lines of cantis when its peeing down.

So my options are:

Tektro R538 (bolts and springs said to rust after a few weeks)
Shimano R650 or R450 (said to be rubbish in the wet)

TBH it would have been nice to have Ultegra brakes, or even 105s, but it seems Shimano dont do anything remotely close in long reach. This could actually put me off the TK2 in favour of something else. Oh and half the companies who make callipers wont even put up measurements on their websites, which is SO annoying.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Have you asked Kinesis what they recommend ?

Alternatively, contact Magnatom of this parish, as he has a Kinesis frame too, which he uses for a winter commuter.

HTH

nmcgann

Veteran
The R650 is Ultegra-level and the R450 is Tiagra-level.

I have the older A550s on my winter bike and it's true that the long drop calipers aren't as good as the short drops, they feel a bit spongey. However, stick some Koolstop Salmon pads in them and they are fine for winter riding.

I wouldn't go near the Tektro brakes - I had a set of their long drops seize completely on me after one winter.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
I've got the R650 on the rear of my TK2 i don't have any problems stopping, you only need a long reach brake on the rear of the frame.

My TK2 is built up with ultegra sl and askiums, the frame is amazingly light.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
topcat1 said:
I've got the R650 on the rear of my TK2 i don't have any problems stopping, you only need a long reach brake on the rear of the frame.

My TK2 is built up with ultegra sl and askiums, the frame is amazingly light.

Only on the rear? I didnt realise that.B) Wish the website and the shops were a bit clearer

@Scoosh - I did, they said the Tektros. Would really like the bike to last though so will prolly avoid them.

@The Doctor and nMcgann - thanks for that. It was really starting to worry me by some of the stuff I'd read this week. I will prolly go for Salmon Koolstop pads for fowl weather, whatever the brake.

mercurykev

As mentioned Shimano R650 are long drop Ultergra's. You'll find that braking in the wet is more dependant on the pad/rim combination than the calipers. If you get R650s with Kool Stop Salmons you shouldn't have a problem.

With regard to only needing a rear deep drop brake on the TK2, this depends on which fork you're running.

Top Bottom