This makes for sobrering reading "Attention failure"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
When I am on a bike my minds default mode is "If in doubt. Slow down or stop". I have a shorter braking distance than a car, I have better all round vision than a driver and I can manouvre a bike better than a car. I have seen a few cycling accidents. Most involved people under 30. I think except for 2 accidents, I can still sit here and wonder what they were thinking.

The rules may give us all the priotity in the world but to assume the driver is aware of those rules is suicidal. I have had to kneel next to cyclists and reassure them that the ambulance is coming and they will be 0k and it was not their fault.

In reality, it was not their fault. But there is no point in laying under a car saying "It was my priority". Its too late then

I ride a lot with Jannie. She is just as fast as I am. She will get from A to B just as quick. But probably with a lot more safety in mind. Its not a macho, bravado think on my part. I just think guys are wired differently to women. We take a millisecond more risk than women and that gets us into trouble sometimes.

To prevent accidents, men especially have to take a long hard look at themselves and recognise their faults while riding bikes. Because you will never win by taking a car on with a bike and is there anywhere worth getting to where you cannot arrive 10 seconds late?

Top Bottom