1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This may be the best picture you will ever see....

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Elmer Fudd, 21 Sep 2007.

1. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

.....that you will never take yourself.
    I think this is a cracking picture, see here

2. redfox

redfox New Member

Fantastic picture, in spite of your modesty! :blush:

The large format version doesn't fair so well though, maybe 32K is pushing it for a 1024*768 image.

Do you have a larger version sans artefacts? (I fancy a change of wallpaper)

3. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

I can attach the file to a PM if you like (I've got it as my desktop now) or Email you it looks ok on my 'puter
    Actual size is 32.1kb and set at 1024x768 but only a 15" monitor, one day I will catch up with technology !!
    I can e-mail me mate and see if he can give me a better quality copy

4. Haitch

Haitch Flim Flormally

Hang about. This isn't a photo at all; it's a set-up by a German astrophysics student. Take a look here.

5. Pete

Pete Guest

Ah! The wonders of Photoshop...

6. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

ha, I set that as my desktop and then read on, phooey.

This is I think the best pic I've taken, no small amount of luck I admit. Taken at sunset on a Bateau Mouche on the Seine, looking back towards Notre Dame. Shortly after Pereiro won the tour.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1415977155&size=l

7. Cycling Naturalist

Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

Ladies - please do not trust any pictures that Elmer sends you. :blush:

8. JamesAC

JamesAC Senior Member

It's NOT a "real" photograph: the sun and the moon subtend the same angle when seen from the earth: you can see that at a total eclipse.

No way would you see a "small" sun and a "large" moon, as depicted.

Cheers!

9. col

col Veteran

That's a cracker EF,so is yours TDLC,iv tried those type but always get blown out.

10. Pete

Pete Guest

Too true - and furthermore, in any picture with the sun and moon that close together, the sun would be so much brighter than the moon that it would totally 'burn out' the image, you wouldn't see anything of the moon at all. This is a common problem with astro pictures of two objects - believe me. Recently Mars (bright, but a lot fainter than either the sun or the moon) passed very close (in line of sight) to the celebrated Crab nebula (fainter still) in the sky, and several of my fellow-astros have been trying to get them both in the same picture, without Mars burning the whole thing out. It ain't easy!

If you're sitting at a desk at work, try picking up an object on your desk which, when held at arms length, will appear the same size as the sun or moon in the sky. Many of you will be surprised! A drawing pin would be way too large!

11. jonathan ellis

jonathan ellis Well-Known Member

anyone going to mention that the north pole appears to have melted in that piccy, shouldnt we be flooded by now!

12. redcogs

redcogs New Member

delightful :-)

13. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

that's cooooooool RT.