This Raleigh Clubman lives again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Its been a long time coming.....
£25 for a tatty 531 Clubman at the carboot sale last summer.
Completely stripped back, except for the headset cups, which wouldnt move even with the jaws of a vice, wrenches...anything. So they stayed.
It started like this (wish i'd took pics of the old thing assembled)....
DSC01504.jpg

Also see these.. (rather than clog up the post )
http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r269/gbb_photo/Raleigh clubman/?action=view&current=DSC01508.jpg
http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r269/gbb_photo/Raleigh clubman/?action=view&current=DSC01505.jpg

£200 or so turns it into this....

DSC01979.jpg

DSC01978.jpg

DSC01981.jpg

DSC01983.jpg

Not cheap...but very satisfying. Its surprised me how comparatively simple it was. I cant think of one area that was problematic...apart from getting the bits as cheap as possible ;)

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Congratulations gbb, that looks a smart bit of kit. It is very satisfying to bring a machine back from the scrapheap brink and you must be very proud.

Are those 700c wheels? If so, did you keep the original brakes? I ask because my old Dawes will need new wheels soon, but I don't want change the brakes as they add to the period "charm."

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Gerry Attrick said:
Congratulations gbb, that looks a smart bit of kit. It is very satisfying to bring a machine back from the scrapheap brink and you must be very proud.

Are those 700c wheels? If so, did you keep the original brakes? I ask because my old Dawes will need new wheels soon, but I don't want change the brakes as they add to the period "charm."

There were centrepulls on it Gerry...it had 27 inch wheels on it when i got it.
I assume no good for your project...you'd have been more than welcome.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Gerry Attrick said:

;) now i'm confused :laugh:
Which bits are you after Gerry ?

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Fab Foodie said:
Nice work gbb, certainly worth £200 IMO.
Who did the paint job?
How does she ride?

Paint jobs a powdercoat done locally, via a friend in the trade. Nothing special, theres even a couple of blemishes in the finish, but i'm not that bothered considering it only cost a tenner for the sandblasting. Powdercoat was free to me :laugh:

It feels different...cant put my finger on it. It rides well, doesnt transmit much buzz and seems very smooth. I did a few miles this afternoon...the first proper ride just to test it out..feels good.
The frame geometrys i bit 'stretched' compared with modern bikes...perhaps thats what feels different.
Anyways...i like it. Compared with my chromoloy Raleigh Chimera..its a joy. Not as responsive as my Bianchi...different. Its interesting. ;)

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Very nice.

How did you get the ahead type stem on the steerer? one of those quill to ahead adaptor things? Just curious because I own something a bit similar which will be getting a bit of a revamp soon.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Gerry Attrick said:
Ah no. I wasn't scrounging. I was wondering that if you have replaced the 27" wheels with 700c's, were able to use the original brake calipers? For instance, do they have enough drop to allow the blocks to reach the braking surface of 700c wheels?

Gotcha..sorry.
27's and centrepull brakes originally. Replaced the wheels with 700's. Cant answer your question really, i never tried the 700's with the centrepulls.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
palinurus said:
Very nice.

How did you get the ahead type stem on the steerer? one of those quill to ahead adaptor things? Just curious because I own something a bit similar which will be getting a bit of a revamp soon.

1 inch quill with a 1.1/8 head top half...one piece affair if you know what i mean. Cost £7 from the LBS...i think they were glad to be rid...sitting in the bottom of a box of odd quills. Ironically, it was cheaper than anything on ebay.
TBH, i only went that way because i had a cheapie pair of bars and stem spare...came off an ahead equipped bike. Dont be confused by the thickness of the quill below the stem. Its 1'' but it looked skinny, so i put a couple of pieces of plastic pipe around it to fatten it up and look better.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Did you have to spread the fram to take the rear wheel?

Just wondering because I am about to upgrade an old steel bike to RSX from friction, and need to put a 7sp block on it...

Yes....
The existing width between dropouts was 110mm (IIRC) It was originally a 5 speed setup. 8/9 speed wheels are 135mm (IIRC), but i cant remember what the width needed for 7 speed is.....you may get away with your existing dropout widths.
I just cold set the rear triangle with a lump of wood....be careful to open either side equally. I think Sheldon Brown has a section on it..how to set it equally.
It was easy JRG...no problem.

Top Bottom