This tiny submarine 2.4 miles under the sea, visiting the relics of RMS Titanic. Can it be found and the crew saved before the air runs out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It' s one of the reasons why it's so important to know how materials behave, how they take loading and how they fail - and then take all that into account at the design stage. It's why a Factor of Safety is included in the design work for just about anything.

Have you ever been to the Kirkcaldy Testing Museum in London?
http://www.testingmuseum.org.uk/

It's a fascinating place. Unfortunately they can't afford to keep it open all the time so opening is very restricted.

PK99

Legendary Member
Have you ever been to the Kirkcaldy Testing Museum in London?
http://www.testingmuseum.org.uk/

It's a fascinating place. Unfortunately they can't afford to keep it open all the time so opening is very restricted.

Coincidentally, a mate and I are planning to visit. HUGE test rig they have.

Found my Hull and Clyne. Little green book. Did more on steels and light alloys. Easterling, bhaddesia iirc and honeycomb were the authors of books we used a lot more than the Hull one. Another life and something I didn't follow into a career.

Wasn't it a cylindrical submarine that once held the depth record in the Mariana trench? The trieste iirc when I was a kid.

Actually it's a bathyscape and got to the bottom of the challenger trench over 10,000m down in the 60s.

I sort of did, inspired by an afternoon spent with John Barnard, but then got sidetracked doing media stuff (photography & journalism) that stemmed from taking photos of damaged race cars for my PhD, and never went back. Health issues eventually put pay to the latter too, unfortunately.

My Hull & Clyne is upstairs alongside a bunch of other techy books with a motorsport emphasis. Pea-green cover with a B&W pic on the front, published by Cambridge University Press.

The capsule for the people was the classic metal sphere, fastened below that roughly cylindrical hull, unlike Titan, where the cylinder performed that function

But did the cylindrical Hull collapse at that depth? Human section might have been designed with a higher safety level but the whole vessel survived much lower depths with a non spherical shape than the titan vessel.

The shape and construction all contribute but it's not true that cylindrical cannot be made to survive low depths since Trieste as a whole survived.

classic33

Leg End Member
But did the cylindrical Hull collapse at that depth? Human section might have been designed with a higher safety level but the whole vessel survived much lower depths with a non spherical shape than the titan vessel.

The shape and construction all contribute but it's not true that cylindrical cannot be made to survive low depths since Trieste as a whole survived.
Inside of the cylindrical part of Trieste was flooded.

classic33

Leg End Member
I hadn't looked anything up, but that was what came to mind - that the cylinder was open to the water, thus equalizing the pressure inside and out.
Lead ballast tanks emptied for the ascent, under normal conditions, or on their own if power failed.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk

The cylinder was filled with liquid, not non-pressurised gas. Very different, shirley?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trieste_(bathyscaphe)#/media/File:Trieste_nh96807.svg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom