This tiny submarine 2.4 miles under the sea, visiting the relics of RMS Titanic. Can it be found and the crew saved before the air runs out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I certainly wouldn't have gotten in it because i couldn't afford it!

The chances are slim. The only real hope is that it has emergency surfaced somewhere and it will be spotted before the oxygen runs out. They are bolted in and sealed from the outside, so even if they surface, the oxygen they have still matters. But i think that is wishful thinking... Contact was lost while it was near the titanic, suddenly. It is my personal and non-professional belief that the hull has suffered catastrophic failure and the occupants are no longer with us. The pressures at that depth are such that there are very few subs able to get that deep without being crushed and im really unsure on how many actual rescue submarines exist that can reach those depths, probably zero as i know the navy have nothing for those depths. The NATO submarine rescue system can get to 1000 metres at a pinch but titanic is nearly 4000 metres down! These systems are not really designed for these types of rescue missions either. Frankly, its a grim situation...

mustang1

Guru
I certainly wouldn't have gotten in it because i couldn't afford it!

The chances are slim. The only real hope is that it has emergency surfaced somewhere and it will be spotted before the oxygen runs out. They are bolted in and sealed from the outside, so even if they surface, the oxygen they have still matters. But i think that is wishful thinking... Contact was lost while it was near the titanic, suddenly. It is my personal and non-professional belief that the hull has suffered catastrophic failure and the occupants are no longer with us. The pressures at that depth are such that there are very few subs able to get that deep without being crushed and im really unsure on how many actual rescue submarines exist that can reach those depths, probably zero as i know the navy have nothing for those depths. The NATO submarine rescue system can get to 1000 metres at a pinch but titanic is nearly 4000 metres down! These systems are not really designed for these types of rescue missions either. Frankly, its a grim situation...

Yeah I think so too. Those kind of machines are great if they are unmanned vehicles, but actually getting into one? Nah, not my thing at all.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes they are toast.
The British guys is described as 'an adventurer" in some reports...he appears to just be a rich daffodil who has paid to go on a few "extreme journeys"

It is still tragic, but pretty much self inflicted, going on a vanity tourist trip on relatively unproven technology.

Last edited:
Those with long memories may remember this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rescue_of_Roger_Mallinson_and_Roger_Chapman
That was just over a tenth of the depth, just 150 miles out, the rescuers knew its position, and they only just made it. I think one can safely say if they are rescued now it could be described as miraculous.
Having been on one of the Vickers Oceanics vessels myself, my outstanding memory is of a school of plaice watching what we were doing, covering a trans-channel cable, I would say, yes it’s an experience, but it doesn’t half concentrate the mind on getting things right. I wouldn’t go on one just for a jolly.

colly

Re member eR
It's tragic and very sad for the families of those who may have died. Other than that, in the great scheme of things, it's no worse than everyday deaths on the roads. Just more public and newsworthy. I really do hope they have surfaced and are alive but as @HMS_Dave said the chances are less than slim.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Needle in a haystack maybe doesn't come close.
I have always disliked potentially dangerous situations where I have little to no control eg even fairground rides so there would be no chance of getting me on that.
Like others I would like a good outcome but tbh I can't see how they will even find the submersible.

Drago

Legendary Member
There seem to be two scenarios under consideration.

A. They're trapped or stuck down below, in which case they're sadly toast as that's as no one has assets available that can get to them anywhere near in time, never mind attempt a recovery, even if the missing sub is located swiftly.

B. They've surfaced for some reason (for example, in the event of a power loss the sub will autorelease its drop weight and it will rise to the surface using nothing more than physics to do so), in which case it's a big-ass ocean but with any luck will be found.

Either way, a news story that doesn't involve war or politics is certainly interesting, although one must not underestimate the peril in which those good folks may be.

If, perish the thought, this has an unhappy ending I can see the authorities banning such 'tourist' visits to the wreck site.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
B. They've surfaced for some reason (for example, in the event of a power loss the sub will autorelease its drop weight and it will rise to the surface using nothing more than physics to do so), in which case it's a big-ass ocean but with any luck will be found.
Though they still need to be found before their air runs out, as the submersible can only be opened from the outside.

markemark

Ãœber Member
Third option is a leak at which point is was a catastrophic failure and death would have been near instant.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The BBC could do some maths though. Twice they repeat that the sub has 96 hours of life support. They also state it’s an 8 day trip. Well there’s a problem, the life support will only last half the trip.

The 8 day trip is from Newfoundland. One doesn't need the oxygen on the surface ship. its only once you get above the wreck site that they bolt people into the lightly tested submersible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom