This tiny submarine 2.4 miles under the sea, visiting the relics of RMS Titanic. Can it be found and the crew saved before the air runs out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The BBC could do some maths though. Twice they repeat that the sub has 96 hours of life support. They also state it’s an 8 day trip. Well there’s a problem, the life support will only last half the trip.

Be fair, that's far from an accurate summary of the Beeb reporting. The BBC are reporting an eight day trip to the Titanic wreck and an eight hour dive to the wreck. The next paragraph states the vessel has life-support for five people for 96 hours.

BBC Titanic report 10 hours earlier

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Be fair, that's far from an accurate summary of the Beeb reporting. The BBC are reporting an eight day trip to the Titanic wreck and an eight hour dive to the wreck. The next paragraph states the vessel has life-support for five people for 96 hours.

BBC Titanic report 10 hours earlier

Your link is dead, and my summary is accurate for the version at the time I read it. There’s a much improved version there now.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Did anyone mention it’s sealed from the outside and the windows don’t open?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Or at least aren't supposed to.

If it was, as has been suggested, a catastrophic hull failure, there would appear to be a possibility that the wreckage will never be found.

Since comms with the submersible are difficult at the best of times , it’s hard to say. Ocean gate need to send an unmanned submersible on the same route it was destined to take, to see if they can find it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If, perish the thought, this has an unhappy ending I can see the authorities banning such 'tourist' visits to the wreck site.
Just out of interest who has authority over such things? Genuine question, my maritime knowledge extends only to booking ferries occasionally.

I was wondering that when thinking who would/could have certified that thing as seaworthy, or at very least done an expert independent risk assessment.

In a few years time they might locate the wreck and send tourists down to look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom