This weather - stop already...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Nah you’ve just got shoot kit. I was out for 10 hours in Storm Dennis the other weekend. Heavy rain for 9 of them. Whether something is shoot comes down to your attitude of mind. Plus decent clothing of course. I had a great time out in what you’d call shoot weather.
I have a variety of jackets, some better than others. The Berghaus Goretex and the Gore bike wear were certainly not cheap and neither of them are remotely waterproof. Shower proof maybe, but useless for more than half an hour in the rain.
I won't be spending mega £££ on something claiming to be better as I have little faith in such claims. Easier to avoid the misery of wet weather cycling. Better for the bike too. ^_^

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I have a variety of jackets, some better than others. The Berghaus Goretex and the Gore bike wear were certainly not cheap and neither of them are remotely waterproof. Shower proof maybe, but useless for more than half an hour in the rain.
I won't be spending mega £££ on something claiming to be better as I have little faith in such claims. Easier to avoid the misery of wet weather cycling. Better for the bike too. ^_^

Try Paramo much better (and cheaper) than old tech Goretex.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
My long time experience as a cyclist and a motorcyclist and someone whose last long term job involved being out all day has taught me one thing - no item of clothing (Rubber boots excepted) is truly waterproof. Some are better than others and a few are really good, but if you're out long enough and it's coming down heavily enough you will get wet.

Fit is also vital. If a jacket doesn't close snugly round the neck, be prepared to eventually get seriously wet . This is at it's worst when wearing any sort of helmet as the water running from it drips down inside the collar. There are no such things as waterproof gloves, unless you ride in a pair of Marigolds. To keep the hands dry either nick some of those plastic gloves they have at diesel pumps or spend a fiver on a box of vinyl gloves worn by mechanics and use them as a base layer under your regular glove.

pawl

Legendary Member
My long time experience as a cyclist and a motorcyclist and someone whose last long term job involved being out all day has taught me one thing - no item of clothing (Rubber boots excepted) is truly waterproof. Some are better than others and a few are really good, but if you're out long enough and it's coming down heavily enough you will get wet.

Fit is also vital. If a jacket doesn't close snugly round the neck, be prepared to eventually get seriously wet . This is at it's worst when wearing any sort of helmet as the water running from it drips down inside the collar. There are no such things as waterproof gloves, unless you ride in a pair of Marigolds. To keep the hands dry either nick some of those plastic gloves they have at diesel pumps or spend a fiver on a box of vinyl gloves worn by mechanics and use them as a base layer under your regular glove.

Old style cape.Oil skin south wester.

straas

Matt

I've never had water penetrate my site jacket - have stood out in rain for 5-6 hours in it aswell. It's got a nice flap on the back to stick up into your helmet so there are no drips either.

Will Spin

Über Member
I've never had water penetrate my site jacket - have stood out in rain for 5-6 hours in it aswell. It's got a nice flap on the back to stick up into your helmet so there are no drips either.
There's a difference when cycling though as rain water is sprayed at you from all angles!

pawl

Legendary Member
And acts a large sail.

Great when it’s a tall wind.Many years ago I was riding with a mate both of us caped up .Peeing it down and blowing a hooly a strong gust of side wind hit us.He was lifted off the road.Per haps not a good idea wearing a cape in those conditions when you are about five feet and the odd inch tall.. Doubt if he weighed eight stone wet through.

Ashimoto

Seems to be settling slightly where I am. Its still raining but the last few days ive managed to get out inbetween showers. Hopefully later on today I can grab a few hours

Top Bottom