This Wiggins incident has brought the numpties out...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teuchter

Über Member
I do think cyclists should be registered and display some kind of ID
While I understand your point, I think calls for this sort of thing have to be balanced with the view that this would put off a lot of potential cyclists. These may not be the committed cyclists who spend time on cycling forums like this one and have a deep interest in issues relating to cycling in general. They may not be confident cyclists and they may not even ride the way we feel they should ride but they ARE cyclists none the less. As has been pointed out, the more cyclists there are on the roads, the more other road users are used to seeing them, the safer it is for all of us.

Let's not make it even harder for people to take up cycling.

Davidsw8

I think there might be some value in the registration, purely because it might mean that cyclists have to undergo a course before they're allowed on the road?

Maybe it's all a bit too much legislation, but there are a lot of cyclists that don't seem to know where they should be, and surely a course would help that issue.

This country is big on over-legislation so why not a bit more? ^_^

I was thinking last night, it would be good if as part of the driving test, people had to complete 10 hours cycling round a town centre. It's not until I re-started cycling earlier this year that I got to appreciate how dangerous it can be and what the perils are - people really need to put themselves in the shoes of others, empathy seems to be lost...

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
What's silly is comparing a form of transportation that uses roads with pedestrians that cross the road.

OK theres only one way to settle this!

A silly vote! - Please vote A or B for the sillyiest comment!

Vote A :Registration for bikes and cyclists undergo a course to get some sort of cycle licence to cycle on roads

Vote B : Comparing a form of transportation that uses roads with pedestrians that cross the road

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I think as part of a car driving test you should first have to pass a cycle test in busy traffic.

This would then give people both basic road craft skills on a bike and also so they can see what effects driving has to a cyclist.

Davidsw8

While I understand your point, I think calls for this sort of thing have to be balanced with the view that this would put off a lot of potential cyclists. These may not be the committed cyclists who spend time on cycling forums like this one and have a deep interest in issues relating to cycling in general. They may not be confident cyclists and they may not even ride the way we feel they should ride but they ARE cyclists none the less. As has been pointed out, the more cyclists there are on the roads, the more other road users are used to seeing them, the safer it is for all of us.

Let's not make it even harder for people to take up cycling.

I'm not really saying people need to take a cycling test, just that they be registered. If people can't be bothered to complete a form then maybe they shouldn't be cycling anyway.

Davidsw8

OK theres only one way to settle this!

A silly vote! - Please vote A or B for the sillyiest comment!

Vote A :Registration for bikes and cyclists undergo a course to get some sort of cycle licence to cycle on roads

Vote B : Comparing a form of transportation that uses roads with pedestrians that cross the road

Peter, it's not silly, it's someone elses' opinion that you disagree with.

As I say, registration doesn't necessarily mean a test should be taken... registration makes people more accountable for their actions IMO.

OP
OP
dodd82

dodd82

I'm not really saying people need to take a cycling test, just that they be registered. If people can't be bothered to complete a form then maybe they shouldn't be cycling anyway.

I tend to agree.

The issue is that there are a lot of recreational cyclists, for whom this is over the top. But if it helps reduce poor cycling and accidents, then perhaps it's a good thing?

There isn't a right answer with this - so I think it comes down to whether you think the problem is big enough to legislate against.

Davidsw8

I tend to agree.

The issue is that there are a lot of recreational cyclists, for whom this is over the top. But if it helps reduce poor cycling and accidents, then perhaps it's a good thing?

There isn't a right answer with this - so I think it comes down to whether you think the problem is big enough to legislate against.

I think if someone's spent a couple hundred quid on a bike, they can cope with filling out a form.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I was thinking last night, it would be good if as part of the driving test, people had to complete 10 hours cycling round a town centre. It's not until I re-started cycling earlier this year that I got to appreciate how dangerous it can be and what the perils are - people really need to put themselves in the shoes of others, empathy seems to be lost...

I completely agree

Teuchter

Über Member
I think if someone's spent a couple hundred quid on a bike, they can cope with filling out a form.
True... for anyone likely to be reading this forum.

However what about the 30%** of cyclists out there who are riding a bike shaped object with a squeaky chain and badly adjusted gears that they bought 2nd hand for £30 off gumtree because it's cheaper than a bus pass? Maybe as "proper" cyclists we want to legislate these people off the roads. I don't, I'd rather encourage them to get out there (though I would like to get them off the pavement and using lights!).

** This figure was pulled out of my ar$e and has no basis on real facts

Registration is not the answer -
  1. Poor cycling no matter how crazy it may look from the perspective of a lot of experienced cyclists (and drivers) is not the cause of the majority of accidents.
  2. Registration of motor vehicles doesn't seem to affect how well people drive.
  3. Various countries have tried it and it doesn't work - After all if the Swiss with their bureaucratic skills could not do it there is no chance it would be viable in this country.
  4. As others have said if enforced it would just reduce the number of people cycling.

The key thing is to change the behavior of drivers, it is motor vehicles that are responsible for the majority of the death and injuries of cyclist, motor vehicles are driven by people - it is people that are responsible for causing the death and injuries of cyclists (and too many pedestrians and passengers in cars) - it is people that must be made aware of their responsibilities as drivers and made responsible for their actions.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Peter, it's not silly, it's someone elses' opinion that you disagree with.

As I say, registration doesn't necessarily mean a test should be taken... registration makes people more accountable for their actions IMO.

It was my opinion that his opinion it was silly. So just because your opinion is that his opinion was not silly doesn't mean you can tell me my opinion of his opinion was infact wrong.

Top Bottom