This Wiggins incident has brought the numpties out...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodd82

... all over Twitter, the news and various other media sites.

CYCLISTS SHOULD PAY ROAD TAX

Bless them.

Unfortunately, it suggests that some of the bad driving on my commute is down to a prejudice against me as a cyclist, rather than just poor driving.

I think I prefer to think of them as poor drivers, because the thought that people intentionally try to bully me on the road is worse :sad:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bless.

The £210 pound a year works out at about 5p per mile for me and I don't use the car much. 9 out of 10 BC members have a car. The other 10% are probably junior members !

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
I think the problem is drivers don’t know how to share the road with cyclists. When I was learning to driver I never saw any, and people could have been driving for a while without ever having to deal with them. Their minds are stuck to a mindset where cyclists should not be there as this is what they are used to. When I talk to non-cyclists they say cyclists are a nuisance. Maybe more should be done early on. I would love a run of TV adverts running showing “how to pass a cyclists”, “look for cyclists on roundabouts”, or “cyclist maybe travelling faster than you think”. That type of stuff.

Davidsw8

Well, the 'Road Tax' issue is a moot point obviously but I do think cyclists should be registered and display some kind of ID (not sure where on some bikes...).

When there's an accident or a cyclist does something wrong, they can just cycle off and suffer no comeback.

The ONE good thing about the Boris bikes is that they have id numbers displayed on them.

Teuchter

Über Member
Bless.

The £210 pound a year works out at about 5p per mile for me and I don't use the car much. 9 out of 10 BC members have a car. The other 10% are probably junior members !

This.

I probably pay more road tax than most single car owners out there, owning both a car and a large motorbike. I cycle almost every day, leaving these taxed vehicles sitting at home not adding to congestion, polution or road wear. The car is used only to transport the kids to things at evenings or weekends (my wife doesn't drive so if I'm not using it, it sits at home) or for the weekly shop and the motorbike probably gets ridden a couple of times a fortnight.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Well, the 'Road Tax' issue is a moot point obviously but I do think cyclists should be registered and display some kind of ID (not sure where on some bikes...).

When there's an accident or a cyclist does something wrong, they can just cycle off and suffer no comeback.

The ONE good thing about the Boris bikes is that they have id numbers displayed on them.

I disagree. It's not worth the effort for the tiny number of such incidents.
Besides, cars all have registration plates, but it doesn't seem to stop them driving like idiots.

OP
OP
dodd82

dodd82

I think there might be some value in the registration, purely because it might mean that cyclists have to undergo a course before they're allowed on the road?

Maybe it's all a bit too much legislation, but there are a lot of cyclists that don't seem to know where they should be, and surely a course would help that issue.

carolonabike

Well my unscientific and very small survey of my journey into work this morning makes me wonder if it may have a positive effect in that motorists seem to be more aware. This morning one van left room for me to get out at a congested junction and waved me out, one pulled over to give me priority in a street full of parked cars and a bus stopped at a roundabout as I was coming round it when I would normally have expected him to pull out. All in a 20 minute journey. I made sure I waved and thanked them all. Pass on the love :smile:
It could be a coincidence, or it could be a temporary thing.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I think the problem is drivers don’t know how to share the road with cyclists. When I was learning to driver I never saw any, and people could have been driving for a while without ever having to deal with them. Their minds are stuck to a mindset where cyclists should not be there as this is what they are used to. When I talk to non-cyclists they say cyclists are a nuisance. Maybe more should be done early on. I would love a run of TV adverts running showing “how to pass a cyclists”, “look for cyclists on roundabouts”, or “cyclist maybe travelling faster than you think”. That type of stuff.
This.

I've noticed that on my old commute down the Old Kent Road, drivers were a lot more aware and more comfortable around cyclists and I put this down to the sheer numbers they had to cope with.

On my new commue, where the only cyclists I tend to see are crossing my path on the main routes (like the A21), I find I get more close passes and more beeps questioning my road positioning that I ever got on the OKR. I put this down to drivers on my new route being so used to not seeing cyclists and whilst this is no excuse, a bit of re-education may be helpful.

Just had a conversation with a guy at work about road tax etc. Pointed out it doesn't exist etc. Pointed out that I have the right to use the whole lane (response: "Yes the cycle lane") . His main issue seemed to be the riders in the gutter that suddenly swerve out ("Fair point, said I, "they shouldn't be in the gutter in the first place and you should get used to them being in front of you".) He was a bit shocked when I said that a motorist overtaking me should be at least straddling the white line and preferably further over. He did seem to take my points on board for a think later.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
I think there might be some value in the registration, purely because it might mean that cyclists have to undergo a course before they're allowed on the road?

Maybe it's all a bit too much legislation, but there are a lot of cyclists that don't seem to know where they should be, and surely a course would help that issue.

That silly, a course, then all people need dog tags, and also must undergo a course before you can walk across a road.

Top Bottom