Thorn Sterling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
quote-
Equally hideous.

Nice kitchen, though!

The worst bit about these bikes is the massive price, due to that expensive hub. From £1499 indeed! :thumbsup:

i wish mine was closer to the £1499...mine cost nearly 4K! yup and i told mrs dangerous that it cost £500! she believed me too!

quote-Indeed. You could have got several decent bikes for that, each of which would probably do their jobs better than any 'jack of all trades'

could the same arguement be made of somebody that buys a ferrari,aston,rolls,bentley...they too could have bought multiple cheaper cars to fullfil their needs. if you don't see the value in it then that is your problem not the person who has spent above what you think is resonable.
something is only worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it, my thorn is worthless to you since you can't quantify the value, however to me the person who specced it it has plenty of worth and value!

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I'm certainly not questioning your right to spend however much you like, on whatever you chose.

My point was that it's marketed as "the most multi-functional bike we have ever made!..." I always think that 'multifunctional' is an attractive idea if you are only going to have one bike. But once you're investing quite a lot of money in your bikes, I'm not as convinced that 'multifunctional' makes all that much sence. I'm not clear which of the Sterling's multitude of functions it does well, or as well as any number of other bikes with more clearly defined purpose. All the car examples you gave above, do have that clarity of purpose.

I have a very similar bike to the Sterling that I use about town and although it could at a pinch be used for all sort of things, I prefer a mountainbike for mountainbiking, a tourer for touring, an audax bike for audaxes and a road bike for zooming about on. Riding something that is 'master of none' isn't my choice.

simonali

Guru
dangerousjules said:
i wish mine was closer to the £1499...mine cost nearly 4K! yup and i told mrs dangerous that it cost £500! she believed me too!

4 grand?!! Yours doesn't even have the Pace RC31s which increase the desirability of the bike in the OP by a couple of percentage points.

I honestly cannot see where the money went. Did the £4000 include a Volvo estate to ferry it around in?

let me break it down boys and girls...exp frame(plus all the thorn bullet proof bits), chris king,rohloff,xtr brakes, thomson seat post and stem...soon adds up! no volvo included!

GaryA

Subversive Sage
I have to agree it is pug-ug shame because i like the older thorns, the club tour has a elegent functional purity
It is the flat bars and overlong steerer which makes the newer thorns so aesthecially challanged
I assume the gear change-mech for the rohloff hub cannot be installed on drop bars?
Shame

Keith Oates

Janner
dangerousjules said:
Black beauty it is on my book as well. I'm more of a roadie man myself and for me top of the pops is my Colnago but I also thoroughly enjoy riding my Thorn Brevet as well. The service, advice and help I received from Thorn when I made my pruchase was second to none!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom