Thorn xtc??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wilson jr

Hi guys. A colleague of mine was out and about yesterday and walked past a skip with a bycicle inside. He spoke to the people who were filling the skip and asked if he could take it to wich they agreed. He wheeled the almost complete ( apart from saddle and seat post ) bike to our workplace and gave it to me. Kind of him. After a search on Google we found that it is a Thorn xtc. Steve freear? It needs a little Tlc. Anybody had much to do with thorn cycles? Should I keep and restore it or off it into the next skip I see??

Brains

Legendary Member
Really ?

Photos or we dont believe you !

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
Hi guys. A colleague of mine was out and about yesterday and walked past a skip with a bycicle inside. He spoke to the people who were filling the skip and asked if he could take it to wich they agreed. He wheeled the almost complete ( apart from saddle and seat post ) bike to our workplace and gave it to me. Kind of him. After a search on Google we found that it is a Thorn xtc. Steve freear? It needs a little Tlc. Anybody had much to do with thorn cycles? Should I keep and restore it or off it into the next skip I see??
Don't know the model but Thorn make beautiful bikes. Respectfully suggest you don't skip it.

OP
OP
Wilson jr

Wilson jr

20171102_170950.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I rather suspect it's been nicked at some point. The frame alone would have been six or seven hundred

OP
OP
Wilson jr

Wilson jr

Sorry for the rubbish photo. Only took the one. Will get some more tomorrow as the bike is still at work. It has rather snazzy frame coloured rack on the back. I'l get the frame number tomorrow too.

OP
OP
Wilson jr

Wilson jr

I do hope not. My friend said it looked like some garden clearing was going on so mabey the ownews were having some building work done. I' not sure.

Brains

Legendary Member
Difficult to tell from the photos, but it looks like an MKII XTC, very early 2000's
At the time that bike was the mutts nuts (to use an expression of the time) expedition touring bike, no change from £2 grand on the road.
It looks like it's even got the real Thorn rack on the back which cost well over £100 at the time
It also has a non standard paint job, which would have cost over £300 at the time
The mud guards don't look original though and difficult to see if those are the original wheels

A few more photos would be good.

Bikes like that dont get put in skips, so presume someone someone is missing that bike.
As Thorn XTC's are as rare as hens teeth, it should be one call to SJSC to find the original owner.

Top Bottom