Those moments that remind you what's so special about being a dad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I was four I 'helped' my dad build our kitchen extension. I even had a wee builders hat made by Tonka toys. 'Helping' mainly involved playing around in the large pile of sand the building supplier dumped at the end of our drive, and getting in the wheelbarrow.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
My Dad was a self employed builder, plumber, decorator.
When I was 5 or 6 he showed me how to use a brace and bit.
2 hours later we were the proud owners of the only totally ventilated garage doors in the whole (hole ??) close !

NickM

Veteran
When my father went to his allotment it was for peace and quiet... junior market gardening was not particularly encouraged.

Luckily, I preferred the library anyway.

Cheddar George

oober member
My lad loves the self assembly furniture -reading the instructions and making sure we have the right number of everything, showing me where everything goes. His favourite is hammering the dowels into the pre-drilled holes

GaryA

Subversive Sage
My lad is now 13 weeks old.....:smile:
At 4 weeks he stopped looking like Mr Magoo
At 5 weeks his night feeds went from every 2 hours to every 4 hours (HALLELUJAH!:sad: )
At 6 weeks i stopped creeping into the nursery to check if he was still alive when he missed a feed :tongue:
At 7 weeks he gave his first ever so slight smile :biggrin:
At 8 weeks he preferred sitting up on my knee rather than laying down
At 9 weeks he developed a total fascination at tree and leaf overhead shouettes on our walks
At 9.5 weeks his night feeds extended to 7 hours :thumbsdown:
At 10 weeks he gave his first giggle when i blew a rasper on his belly:thumbsup:
At 11 weeks we did our longest baby-in-the-harness walk, 9.5mls teesdale:tongue:
At 12 weeks he started taking baby rice and farleys rusk to suppliment his milk
At 13 weeks his nappies exponentially leaped in volume and odour :biggrin:

He has been on 12 > 6ml baby-harness hikes, been pram pushed approx 250 mls, been into 9 different pubs, 6 different restuaraunts and is currently being measured up for cycle seat

Who says kids ruin your lives? :blush:

ChrisW

Bigtallfatbloke said:
yep..those moments are priceless.

Last week my son was born...yesterday at age 14 I was teaching him how to shave...time flies...enjoy each moment.

Mine's 13 so i've got that one coming up in the next few months...quite looking forward to it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Mine is 8 and a constant source of pleasure. A couple of weeks ago we saw a sign saying "Flea Market". "Do they sell fleas in a flea market?" He asks.

Wish I could remember all the other funnies we've had over the years.

col

Legendary Member
ChrisW said:
Mine's 13 so i've got that one coming up in the next few months...quite looking forward to it.

My son is 13 too,just got his cadet uniform yesterday,you should have seen the smile on his face,priceless:biggrin:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
My eldest was hiding in her wardrobe the other day, when I opened it to get her clothes out for Nursery she proceeded to ask me if I was going to "wear her" and pretended she was a suit.

Priceless. ;)

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
My eldest was hiding in her wardrobe the other day, when I opened it to get her clothes out for Nursery she proceeded to ask me if I was going to "wear her" and pretended she was a suit.

Priceless. :blush:

Giving them both to their Grandparent's for the weekend and remembering what it was like to:

Have a lie in
Read a paper in peace
Have a coffee in peace
Go shopping in peace
Go to the pictures and watch a film that isn't rated 12A or below.
Go to the pub
Go to bed late
Have sex

That's special.

Giving them both to their Grandparent's for the weekend and remembering what it was like to:

Have a lie in
Read a paper in peace
Have a coffee in peace
Go shopping in peace
Go to the pub
Go to bed late
Have sex

That's special.

ChrisKH

Guru
Disgruntled Goat said:

Have a lie in
Read a paper in peace
Have a coffee in peace
Go shopping in peace
Go to the pub
Go to bed late
Have sex

That's special.

It would be if we both had parents or parents who were young enough to have our two. Haven't had a free night to ourselves (let alone a weekend) in nearly eight years. Moreso the wife, I at least have been on business trips and had up to five days child free, she has never been away from them in 8.75 years (if you count pregnancy as well) .;)

But it's the price you pay for having children and I wouldn't change anything (although five minutes peace would be nice;)).

ChrisKH

Guru
Disgruntled Goat said:

Have a lie in
Read a paper in peace
Have a coffee in peace
Go shopping in peace
Go to the pub
Go to bed late
Have sex

That's special.

It would be if we both had parents or parents who were young enough to have our two. Haven't had a free night to ourselves (let alone a weekend) in nearly eight years. Moreso the wife, I at least have been on business trips and had up to five days child free, she has never been away from them in 8.75 years (if you count pregnancy as well) .:blush:

But it's the price you pay for having children and I wouldn't change anything (although five minutes peace would be nice;)).

Top Bottom