Those moments that remind you what's so special about being a dad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
ChrisKH said:
It would be if we both had parents or parents who were young enough to have our two. Haven't had a free night to ourselves (let alone a weekend) in nearly eight years. Moreso the wife, I at least have been on business trips and had up to five days child free, she has never been away from them in 8.75 years (if you count pregnancy as well) .;)

But it's the price you pay for having children and I wouldn't change anything (although five minutes peace would be nice;)).
It gets easier :biggrin: you'll be happy to know.... my eldest is now 14, youngest 9. The decisions you make with them/for them become more significant (education etc) but you start to get a life back... we never had babysitters 'on tap' as it were either, but now grab the odd evening out with 14yr old sitting for the other two (for an agreed fee, she's a canny lass!). Just this last few months, you understand, but it's a bit of a relief! Now told the missus I want to get her cycling, so we can go on long tours in few years time!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
ChrisKH said:
It would be if we both had parents or parents who were young enough to have our two. Haven't had a free night to ourselves (let alone a weekend) in nearly eight years. Moreso the wife, I at least have been on business trips and had up to five days child free, she has never been away from them in 8.75 years (if you count pregnancy as well) .:blush:

But it's the price you pay for having children and I wouldn't change anything (although five minutes peace would be nice;)).
It gets easier :tongue: you'll be happy to know.... my eldest is now 14, youngest 9. The decisions you make with them/for them become more significant (education etc) but you start to get a life back... we never had babysitters 'on tap' as it were either, but now grab the odd evening out with 14yr old sitting for the other two (for an agreed fee, she's a canny lass!). Just this last few months, you understand, but it's a bit of a relief! Now told the missus I want to get her cycling, so we can go on long tours in few years time!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My son's been into DIY and gardening since he could walk - some stuff I don't let them near, like working on the cars.... but if I'm servicing the bikes, he's there with his on a stand too. Helped put some flat pack furniture together a few weeks back - enjoyed the leccy screwdriver..

It's his birthday tomorrow, he's 7, and has asked for an electronics kit.... first on his plans are a burgalar alarm for his bedroom.... well that's the first of 750 experiments in the box......

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My son's been into DIY and gardening since he could walk - some stuff I don't let them near, like working on the cars.... but if I'm servicing the bikes, he's there with his on a stand too. Helped put some flat pack furniture together a few weeks back - enjoyed the leccy screwdriver..

It's his birthday tomorrow, he's 7, and has asked for an electronics kit.... first on his plans are a burgalar alarm for his bedroom.... well that's the first of 750 experiments in the box......

Bigtallfatbloke

I remember when he was just able to walk and he got his first wellies and umbrella...we got all kitted up and spent the afternoon stomping in all the puddles in the pissing rain just for the hell of it...superb....so many good times, I forget the sleepless nights and endless nappy changing...well actually now I mention nappies it's all coming back to me now !

Bigtallfatbloke

I remember when he was just able to walk and he got his first wellies and umbrella...we got all kitted up and spent the afternoon stomping in all the puddles in the pissing rain just for the hell of it...superb....so many good times, I forget the sleepless nights and endless nappy changing...well actually now I mention nappies it's all coming back to me now !

Make the most of it Mr Paul.

Our daughter had her 30th birthday last month and she still keeps us entertained - and POOR.

We read about 'Bank of Mum and Dad' but thought it was a myth.

I got stung a few months ago; we've always accepted that grandad keeps the 3 boys in bikes and mends the punctures. Now I've had to provide her with a people carrier so that she can take the boys and their bikes on holiday!!!!!

Luckily she recently met a (apparently non gay) Irish hairdresser and he's moved in and is working at establishing a good and stable relationship with the boys. SWMBO also gets free hair styling.

Make the most of it Mr Paul.

Our daughter had her 30th birthday last month and she still keeps us entertained - and POOR.

We read about 'Bank of Mum and Dad' but thought it was a myth.

I got stung a few months ago; we've always accepted that grandad keeps the 3 boys in bikes and mends the punctures. Now I've had to provide her with a people carrier so that she can take the boys and their bikes on holiday!!!!!

Luckily she recently met a (apparently non gay) Irish hairdresser and he's moved in and is working at establishing a good and stable relationship with the boys. SWMBO also gets free hair styling.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
RichK said:
Mine is 5.

Whilst shopping last week, we get to the squash. "What sort shall we have" I ask. He says ....
Butternut

papercorn2000

Mines is 4. At nursery they were talking about what work their parents do. It was the usual "driver", "works in a shop" etc. According to my daughter, I work in a castle in Glasgow where I look after the princesses and fight dragons.

*sigh* If only I did, I'm sure it would be better than teaching!

papercorn2000

Mines is 4. At nursery they were talking about what work their parents do. It was the usual "driver", "works in a shop" etc. According to my daughter, I work in a castle in Glasgow where I look after the princesses and fight dragons.

*sigh* If only I did, I'm sure it would be better than teaching!

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Apparently when I was at school and was asked what my Dad did I told them "he just sits around in a chair all day doing nothing".

They were dying to know what he did and when Parents evening arrived they duly asked.. and got told he was studying for his Masters Degree.

Seemed like doing nothing to me at the time, just reading stuff. ;)

Top Bottom