Those of you that don't have cars....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kumquat

Do you manage quite easily to live a car-free life?

I'm curious because I am a young person who has never owned my own car, because so far I've never needed to (student so walked/cycled and took the bus within my city, very rarely need to venture outside of the city).

Next year I will need to move around more. My work will reimburse me either petrol or train/bus tickets (it's too far for me to cycle, but maybe not for some of you hardcore nutters ;) ) My parents seem to think that in order to be a functioning adult in society I must buy a car, but I'm not sure I can be bothered with the costs and upkeep of owning a car, although I could just about afford an old banger and it would make my commute a lot easier.

I'm tempted to save money (and the environment) and not get a car just yet, but am I making my life unnecessarily difficult?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
No, I've never owned a car. Even after my accident I bought a trike to get about on. :cycle:

classic33

Leg End Member
Never had one, legally, and unable to drive anyway.

I've cycled in most weathers, from thunderstorms on high open ground, to high winds.
Temperature wise, cycling in the summer of '95 down to minus 15°C(still air temp).

Some of the looks I've had when I said I cycled/walked in were worth doing it just for that look. Collected a washing machine, having dropped the old one off first. Similar looks of disbelief when shown the vehicle it was going on.

All we need is a few more to do the same and it won't seem as "odd".

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm going to ask another question here, for the regular walkers.
How many give a distance, point A to point B, in the time it'd take you to walk it?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
What age are you and what sort of distance? My eldest has just passed the driving test, and we looked into insuring granny's car, and depending on whether it was based at home or at university made a different of £1500 to the quote. So I would factor in some potentially large insurance costs depending on where you live. They don't need it at Uni, so there is no point, it was mainly to make sure they had some more driving experience.

As for the distance, could you do a day a week or use a folding bike on public transport to take you part of the way?

screenman

Legendary Member
One of the places I need to go to today is 3hrs 36minutes by bus or 36 minutes by car each way. That is just one of three destinations I want to visit today, but as I said earlier a lifestyle choice, some people live in smaller spaces.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
One of the places I need to go to today is 3hrs 36minutes by bus or 36 minutes by car each way. That is just one of three destinations I want to visit today, but as I said earlier a lifestyle choice, some people live in smaller spaces.
But if it's 36 mins by car then for me (here), that would be about 50 mins or an hour by bike so doable (unless your 36 mins was motorway:whistle:)

screenman

Legendary Member
But if it's 36 mins by car then for me (here), that would be about 50 mins or an hour by bike so doable (unless your 36 mins was motorway:whistle:)

26 miles each way. We do not have much in the way of motorways in Lincolnshire. As I said some live their life in smaller spaces.

Effyb4

Veteran
We gave up our car 9 months ago and have been happily walking, cycling and using public transport. We really haven't missed the car, but we do live a 5 minute walk from a bus stop and a 15 minute walk from a station. I think our summer holiday will be the real test.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
26 miles each way. We do not have much in the way of motorways in Lincolnshire. As I said some live their life in smaller spaces.
Excluding motorways, most roads I travel on are 40mph or occasionally 50mph limits, and towards the centre of Bristol 20 mph.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We gave up our car 9 months ago and have been happily walking, cycling and using public transport. We really haven't missed the car, but we do live a 5 minute walk from a bus stop and a 15 minute walk from a station. I think our summer holiday will be the real test.
My friend just hires a car for her holidays if she can't do it by train, but it's still cheaper than owning a car.

Effyb4

Veteran
My friend just hires a car for her holidays if she can't do it by train, but it's still cheaper than owning a car.
We plan to get there by train and take our bikes, but we are going to Yorkshire and it's a lot more hilly than Essex:eek: and public transport isn't quite as convenient. We will hire a car if we need to.

Top Bottom