Those of you that don't have cars....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marcusjb

No car, but live in London, so really no need for one (doesn't stop the roads being clogged up with the damned things). Ride bikes everywhere. Very occasionally get the train/tube if the weather is poor.

Hire cars a few times a year for trips away (that can't be done on train etc).

I have spent my adult life, particularly since my late 20s, in dense urban environments, so my lifestyle has leant itself to non car ownership.

Going to places further afield on a train can take longer than driving for sure, but much of the time, I would rather be sat in a seat, reading a book and looking at the passing countryside than the monotonous endurance test of driving along a motorway.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The choice of not having a car depends on a lot of things. Distance to shops, work, do you have children. Where is your social life based. Do you have a partner?

I work 15 miles away and start at 6am. I also live 8 miles from the nearest shop and so its not practical for me not to have a car. However, in the summer my main form of transport is my Honda Innova125 cc bike and it is excellent.

IMG_0918-1.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I don't have a car. I have 5 bikes and a campervan^_^ Since the van is a lifestyle choice, and one which actually enables more cycling (certainly as a family anyway) I think I'd rather not be without it. I cycle to work every day, so it gets used rarely.
SWMBO has a runaround, and until the kids go to secondary school (within realistic walking distance) it gets used daily.
Could we manage without a car? Yes of course, it would just need a little thinking about and getting used to. If you've never had one then I'm sure you'll find ways round it.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Do you manage quite easily to live a car-free life?

I'm curious because I am a young person who has never owned my own car, because so far I've never needed to (student so walked/cycled and took the bus within my city, very rarely need to venture outside of the city).

Next year I will need to move around more. My work will reimburse me either petrol or train/bus tickets (it's too far for me to cycle, but maybe not for some of you hardcore nutters ;) ) My parents seem to think that in order to be a functioning adult in society I must buy a car, but I'm not sure I can be bothered with the costs and upkeep of owning a car, although I could just about afford an old banger and it would make my commute a lot easier.

I'm tempted to save money (and the environment) and not get a car just yet, but am I making my life unnecessarily difficult?
How much work equipment would you be expected to carry on these more frequent work journeys next year? Assuming not huge if Public Transport is a viable alternative.

Have you considered a folding bike and multi modal travel? The obvious option for use on PT and still give a perfectly decent servicable ride quality and good luggage carrying options is the Brompton but there are other less expensive folders that fold well enough to get away with bus (occasional knobby driver excepted) and on train or tram systems. Usually covered keeps the more jobsworthy types happy.

Using Brompton as an example of folding bikes ~£1000 would get you a brand new bike with a literal lifetime of use in it, cheap as chips to maintain and keep in perfect condition, great fun to ride and cut through the stationary traffic queues, very adaptable set ups, no parking, fuel, VED, MOTs to pay, literally door to door, wear and tear depreciation is negligible vs motors, keeps you fit and healthy without gyms or eating up free time with exercise/or if you are a gym bunny - gets you warmed up and ready while on your ride there. With the right clothing & outers you'll be clean dry and presentable at your destination.

You could enquire if your company operates or would consider a bike to work scheme that would allow you to get the bike through a pre tax salary sacrifice scheme and save you a chunk of money on the cost you pay.

I have a car, (5 people, 3 dogs and 3 chickens family) but currently medically not driving nor missing doing so, it is a convenience that is useful should my dogs fall ill and need urgent vetinary visits and my work requires me as an emergency response over a 400 square mile areas 365 days with a big chunk of kit but other than that, it is a choice not a need.

Firestorm

Veteran
If you would not use a car a great deal , but have isolated times of need , then hiring a car for those times as opposed to buying one may prove to be an option, although cost wise it may not be a massive saving .
without driving it a mile , a car could cost you say £80 a month tax ins etc ,Thats two days car hire.
Also you may find that your firms mileage allowance works out more than just the cost of the petrol, so it may contribute to the overall running cost, wheras if they pay for the train / bus ticket , thats all you will see.
As you dont drive , though , there is the rather expensive matter of driving lessons and then buying the car initially
It will be a good 750 to pass your test, thats 15 lessons and passing first time, then a couple of grand for something that will work, so getting started, scuse the pun, is the tricky bit

OP
OP
K

Kumquat

What age are you and what sort of distance? My eldest has just passed the driving test, and we looked into insuring granny's car, and depending on whether it was based at home or at university made a different of £1500 to the quote. So I would factor in some potentially large insurance costs depending on where you live. They don't need it at Uni, so there is no point, it was mainly to make sure they had some more driving experience.

As for the distance, could you do a day a week or use a folding bike on public transport to take you part of the way?

I'm 20, so yes insurance costs are high but I've had my license since 17 and built up a no-claims bonus on my parents car so it's not quite as insanely high as when I first passed my test.

I will be based at various different sites for 8 weeks at a time, then switch. The closest is in the same city (so cycle), the furthest is 1 hour drive. Probably the easiest thing for the further sites would be to cycle to station, take bike on train then cycle to the site

OP
OP
K

Kumquat

I had this dilemma as a young Foodie, my solution was a Honda CB100 motorcycle, the next best thing to a bicycle. If I was in your position I'd go for a modern classic 'Vespa' built by LML. Cool.

Haha nice idea but you have no idea how incredibly anxious my mother is, she would NEVER talk to me again if I got on something 2 wheeled and motorized. This is despite her having a moped at 14, and my dad having a Harley until I was about 10

Also I'm a hockey goalkeeper as well so I have a HUGE bag I need to take to practice (by bus at the moment, considering a bike trailer) so if I some form of motorized transport it might as well fit my stuff inside (side car? :laugh: )

OP
OP
K

Kumquat

How much work equipment would you be expected to carry on these more frequent work journeys next year? Assuming not huge if Public Transport is a viable alternative.

Have you considered a folding bike and multi modal travel? The obvious option for use on PT and still give a perfectly decent servicable ride quality and good luggage carrying options is the Brompton but there are other less expensive folders that fold well enough to get away with bus (occasional knobby driver excepted) and on train or tram systems. Usually covered keeps the more jobsworthy types happy.

Using Brompton as an example of folding bikes ~£1000 would get you a brand new bike with a literal lifetime of use in it, cheap as chips to maintain and keep in perfect condition, great fun to ride and cut through the stationary traffic queues, very adaptable set ups, no parking, fuel, VED, MOTs to pay, literally door to door, wear and tear depreciation is negligible vs motors, keeps you fit and healthy without gyms or eating up free time with exercise/or if you are a gym bunny - gets you warmed up and ready while on your ride there. With the right clothing & outers you'll be clean dry and presentable at your destination.

You could enquire if your company operates or would consider a bike to work scheme that would allow you to get the bike through a pre tax salary sacrifice scheme and save you a chunk of money on the cost you pay.

I have a car, (5 people, 3 dogs and 3 chickens family) but currently medically not driving nor missing doing so, it is a convenience that is useful should my dogs fall ill and need urgent vetinary visits and my work requires me as an emergency response over a 400 square mile areas 365 days with a big chunk of kit but other than that, it is a choice not a need.

Is it viable to do multi-modal transport with the bike I already have, at least to start with?
Or is there rarely any space on trains to put a full-sized bike?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Is it viable to do multi-modal transport with the bike I already have, at least to start with?
They can get a bit 'arsey' at peak times (i.e. when the train is packed) so it depends on when you need to commute and which company provides the train (some are more accommodating than others)

classic33

Leg End Member
The choice of not having a car depends on a lot of things. Distance to shops, work, do you have children. Where is your social life based. Do you have a partner?

I work 15 miles away and start at 6am.
I also live 8 miles from the nearest shop and so its not practical for me not to have a car. However, in the summer my main form of transport is my Honda Innova125 cc bike and it is excellent.

IMG_0918-1.jpg
Used to start at 5am.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
26 miles each way. We do not have much in the way of motorways in Lincolnshire. As I said some live their life in smaller spaces.
I think a lot depends on the attitude of your local government. Norfolk councillors bleat about cars being "essential" and then provide services to make that true, such as certain things only being disposable at council tips, the tip being a mile outside town on an HGV- infested industrial estate, a mile from the nearest cycle track and half a mile from an infrequently- served bus stop (and the bus driver would probably do their nut if the waste was messy) and the council charge about £35 to collect stuff.

So we have a car that mainly gets used for hauling stuff too big for the bike trailer, plus the occasional long distance trip not well served by mass transport. :sad:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Which train line are you talking about then some with knowledge of that specific line could give more accurate information?

classic33

Leg End Member
I think a lot depends on the attitude of your local government. Norfolk councillors bleat about cars being "essential" and then provide services to make that true, such as certain things only being disposable at council tips, the tip being a mile outside town on an HGV- infested industrial estate, a mile from the nearest cycle track and half a mile from an infrequently- served bus stop (and the bus driver would probably do their nut if the waste was messy) and the council charge about £35 to collect stuff.

So we have a car that mainly gets used for hauling stuff too big for the bike trailer, plus the occasional long distance trip not well served by mass transport. :sad:
If I can take a three piece suite, in one trip, what's stopping you from taking the odd bag or two of garden waste?
T'aint flat round here.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
My experience is usually going against rush hour flow and 3-4 full size bikes are accommodated from Manchester's busiest central stations outwards, I do see bikes coming in too with the rest of the pedestrian traffic but don't know if others have had to be left back at their start points. All the trains have at least one bike friendly carriage and look like they'd take more than the 3-4 I've seen. Best thing to do is ask the local train operators.

The benefit of a folder is that it will go into a luggage rack or beside your seat if it's quieter on the train.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If I can take a three piece suite, in one trip, what's stopping you from taking the odd bag or two of garden waste?
T'aint flat round here.
I've several trees and bushes that grow quite fast. A garden shredder and a wood stove have helped reduce amount and size, but if I cycled everything to the tip, I'd rarely cycle anywhere else and it's not a nice ride among the HGVs, so that's a bit dull. There should be more garden waste collections but "everyone" has a car so the politicians see little need to expand them.

Also, that's only one example of the car-assumed services here :sad:

Top Bottom