Those using dehumifiers in garages/sheds.....look out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

Mine caught fire while I was away on a training course earlier this week:eek:

Luckily it tripped the breaker in the house before the fire could grow and it went out on its own. Makes me feel sick to think what could have happened - my whole fleet of bikes live in my garage!

Check they are in good order everybody:okay:

toeknee

Über Member
:eek::eek:............jeez. That wa close , glad alls well.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

You just don`t know with electrical stuff, this has been a kick up the arse for me with regard to leaving things on

AndyRM

XOXO
'Kinell! That could have been nasty.

We used to rent a flat that was incredibly damp, the landlord had provided a dehumidier that had to be on pretty much all the time, I'm glad it never caught! It was a useless contraption...

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Can I ask what make and model ?

I have a few in use and fires can signify a design flaw.
Sure, it was old to be fair, it was a Hoover Airmaster, did a fantastic job for the last 5 years.

It was 25 years old though, I think they are made a lot safer nowadays

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Mrs SJ thinks I'm an old woman because I insist on the washing machine, tumble dryer and dehumidifier being switched off when there is no one in the house - or at least she did, till the drum broke on the washing machine during a spin cycle and the kitchen was showered in sparks and smoke.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Id never leave a tumble dryer on while out..
most modern leccy stuff is quite safe unless its a beco fridge..but a smoke alarm and a batery in it are the best thing,and a powder extinguisher..

you were very lucky speccy

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Washing machines and tumble dryers are a big no-no, I`d never, ever go out with either of those on, too much to go wrong.

I`ve always compared a dehumidifier to a fridge, and been quite relaxed about leaving it running. I`m going to get a new one as my garage needs it, but run it on a timer so that it`s only on in the evenings when I`m here, rather than 24/7, and fit as small a fuse to it as I can get away with

S.Giles

Mrs SJ thinks I'm an old woman because I insist on the washing machine, tumble dryer and dehumidifier being switched off when there is no one in the house - or at least she did, till the drum broke on the washing machine during a spin cycle and the kitchen was showered in sparks and smoke.
A friend of mine who repairs old washing machines for a living once warned me never to go out leaving the washing machine running. I ignored him and one day came home to a laundry-room that resembled a sauna. the wash-cycle had jammed whilst the heater was on with the result that the machine was getting hotter and hotter. Luckily I came back before steam was replaced by smoke! I'm more careful about leaving things switched-on since that incident.

BigAl68

Über Member
I had a friend who has his house burn down when his washing machine had a catastrophic failure. Took him over a year to get back home as it was a shell after the fire. I have never left one running since

screenman

Legendary Member
Is the place you use it air tight? otherwise are you not trying to dry out the whole atmosphere. We have this discussion a lot on the caravan forum.

Both my shed and my garage are very dry, one is quite sealed and the other has plenty of air flow going through.

Top Bottom