1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thought for the day

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by gambatte, 21 Nov 2007.

1. gambatte

gambatte Middle of the pack...

One of the nice things about cycling in to work and back is the hour each way when (when not having to be 100% concentrated on the road) your mind can drift. Sometimes it can actually be pretty productive. Not surprising then that on a bike, those ideas are sometimes about bikes.I had one of those ‘moments’ today. Not a new idea, just a way of looking at something. I couldn’t remember being put forward before, I could be wrong.Its that old argument about car/cycle argument about rights to be on the road. It always seem to be cyclists shouldn’t be allowed…etc. etc.What I can’t remember being put forward is that ‘cyclists’ (as a minority) aren’t allowed on the road. Rather - every single person in the UK, male-, female, adult, child has the right to be on the road using a bike. People don’t have the automatic right to use cars on the road unless they pay additionally for the privilege (not for the road upkeep)

The argument usually put across, creates a majority group of drivers, and a minority group of ‘cyclists’. Which is used as reinforcement for the usual badly thought out driver rants.

Whereas the right to cycle on the road is EVERYBODYS. Which from a conceptual point of view reverses the situation.

2. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

Yes, it's already been pointed out that pedestrians, horseriders, cyclists, people in horse-drawn buggies and so on have an automatic right to the roads. All motorised forms of transport require a conditional license and an entry tax.

3. Maz

Maz Guru

Can't disagree with any of that, Gambatte...but, when do you start to make your biblical analogy? ;-)

4. OP
    OP
    gambatte

Could try that, but it wouldn’t be from any of the Abrahamic religions. :blush:

Its great when the ‘Jovvies’ come door knocking. “Who do you want to try converting first, the lapsed Catholic who’s now a Buddhist or the Wiccan?”:smile::evil::smile:

In the end tho’ I guess I’d have to quote Bill and Ted
    “Be Excellent!”

5. CotterPin

CotterPin Senior Member

I am afraid I don't have such profound thoughts. In the morning it is usually about work; on the way home it is about what I am going to have for dinner!

6. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

We had some Jovvies recently. I told them that I considered Christianity to be a Middle Eastern cult obsessed with violent death and with few answers to help us to live in the modern world, and that as religion that is based on a beginning and an end, is completely at odds with the cyclical nature of human life and so conceptually flawed.

I invited them to study Buddhism as an example of a moral philosophy that could help us to make sense of the nature of our experience and lives.

I don't think I got through to them.

7. OP
    OP
    gambatte

The difference being a little pedantic. In that horseriders, cyclists, etc are all still minority groups.

Its not that cyclists have a right to be on the road. Its that everyone has the right to be on the road on a cycle.

8. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

Everyone is a pedestrian at some point of the day. However, I see your distinction.

Now, what about this religion thing then?

9. OP
    OP
    gambatte

Dangerous thing, brought up a catholic with a Monsignor uncle and a 'Penguin' aunt. Catholic Primary and Comp Schools.

Perfect breeding ground for Atheists and Agnostics!:blush::biggrin:

Reckon I'm settling into Buddhism, no 'god' is an bonus.

So Buddhist 'thought for the day':

'What the caterpillar calls the end, the rest of the world calls a butterfly.'

Buddhist humour:

A Zen student gets his hotdog and hands the vendor a £20 note. The vendor sticks the £20 in the cash drawer and just stands there. The student asks "Hey, where's my change?" The vendor looks at the student and says, "Change comes from within."

IGMC:wacko: