Thought-provoking pictures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
A thread for pictures that say more than a thousand words.

KramerArrest.jpg

Joseph Kramer being arrested by British troops at Bergen Belsen concentration camp where he was the Commandant in addition to Auschwitz. Even wearing leg irons, there's no doubt the troops would have shot him without hesitation.

tumblr_ofkj3yJjec1txdeaio1_500.jpg

The power of theatre. Children watching a puppet show in Paris 1963

5694223efa79d5bbab9712a82439f142.jpg

Julius and Ethel Rosenberg share a last kiss before being executed as Soviet spies.

6b2edc93a982e6404f5b6d3afaba673f--benjamin-ruggiero-lung-cancer.jpg

Bonnano family mobster Benjamin "Lefty" Ruggerio photographed by the FBI immediately after being told that "Donnie Brasco" aka Special Agent Joe Pistone was an undercover agent. Ruggerio had taken "Donnie" under his wing, and this revelation was a death-sentence. Shortly after this, Ruggerio was lifted by FBI agents immediately prior to Ruggerio's summoning to a "meeting" where he would almost certainly have been killed.

6642.jpg

This photograph contains every single human bar one.

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

275855-008-650-aa8c17343a-1484633999.jpg

King George VI 1938. Did he want to be there?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Joseph Kramer being arrested by British troops at Bergen Belsen concentration camp where he was the Commandant in addition to Auschwitz. Even wearing leg irons, there's no doubt the troops would have shot him without hesitation.

Under what circumstances would they have shot him? Given that they didn't, how can you know?

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

Given that the MP behind him is carrying a rifle pointed at his back in the aimed position whilst walking (not an easy thing to do), one stumble on those leg chains could have been all the excuse needed.

Bear in mind US troops summarily executed 50 SS guards at Dachau.

ETA found this (with the same pic) https://www.scrapbookpages.com/BergenBelsen/BergenBelsen05.html

some of them were shot out of hand for mutiny. A burial detail of Hungarians refused to handle the dead bodies. One officer refused to obey the order saying it was contrary to the Geneva Convention. The captain in charge immediately told them they were under martial law and any refusal was mutiny. The officer still refused and so did four of his men. The captain drew his revolver and cocked it, pointing it at the officer's forehead. The officer still refused and the captain shot him dead. The other four attempted to rush the captain, a somewhat foolish attempt against 8 loaded sten guns in the hands of men itching to use them. All five ended up in one of the grave pits. The officer then reported what he had done to the Colonel who told him not to worry: "You've just saved the hangman a job

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I'f he'd tried to abscod from custody, even in leg irons with little real chance of escape, they'd have drilled him. Good thing he didn't because that rifleman isn't holding his weapon properly - holding a fairly meaty .303 like that is a good way to get injured if you pull the trigger.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
I'f he'd tried to abscod from custody, even in leg irons with little real chance of escape, they'd have drilled him. Good thing he didn't because that rifleman isn't holding his weapon properly - holding a fairly meaty .303 like that is a good way to get injured if you pull the trigger.

Yes, having fired an SMLE as a schoolboy I can vouch for that!

Top Bottom