Thoughts about 2017 Pro Tour Punditry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was having a look at the 2017 calendar today in preparation for the 2017 version.

My current thoughts are to have a reduced number of events, as some events (especially the end of year stuff) attracted few pundits, and others seemed to be a bit of a grind.

I was also thinking a reduced number of events might encourage others who want to give it a go some encouragement to do so - it was quite good to have a wee break when others ran events last year for the 'lympics and Tour of Britain - and might lead to some more innovation. One of the good things from last year was the changes to the format/scoring so I'm all up for more of that. I have been giving some thought to scoring additions for "flair picks" but it needs some work and only as an experiment to see if it works.

I am keen for more people to join in so open to all suggestions.

Thoughts?

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Might be no significance to my thoughts as I couldn't really participate last year and can't promise to this year, but I thought it worked well last year thanks in large part to your scoring innovations and enthusiasm.

I'd be wary of going too overboard on scoring experimentation; I think one reason it works, apart from the healthy feeling of community here, is that it is simple and easy to participate in, or muck in and run a couple of events for those who want to. Whatever you do should stay light and accessible.

Agreed on perhaps chopping a few events, maybe to leave the highlight events and reasonable gaps between, and avoid a long tail at the end of the season.

How do you define a flair pick, and how would you score it?

gk09

I'll definately be in and hopefully for the whole season this time!

No need for drastic change in my opinion, I agree with @HF2300 that it's good because it's simple to join in.

But I wonder if there's scope for a fantasy team type competition. Pick you squad of riders at the start of the season, points for results throughout the season.... maybe something for next year.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Flair picks don't need extra rewards IMHO.
They are their own reward in that you get points that nobody else has.
Keep it simple
No concurrent events
No women's races. Did I mention that before?:whistle:

Automatic double points for me, that could an easy feature to introduce.

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
I have another thought - can the organisers send out daily reminders - including ones to stick to the basics and not overthink picks!
I do try as much as possible to send out reminders to those who have not picked - which can be tricky with the TDU given that it takes place during British night time. But dinnae rely on me!

I was thinking I might try out "bonus" points at some point for anyone who correctly selects the top 3 riders for a stage - you wouldn't have to get them in the right order when selecting but if the 3 riders you pick finish 1,2,3 then award an extra bonus of 20 points to the total. It doesn't happen often. But it happened today.

I might trial it during the Giro, which is the next stage race on the PTP calendar.

gk09

I do try as much as possible to send out reminders to those who have not picked - which can be tricky with the TDU given that it takes place during British night time. But dinnae rely on me!

I was thinking I might try out "bonus" points at some point for anyone who correctly selects the top 3 riders for a stage - you wouldn't have to get them in the right order when selecting but if the 3 riders you pick finish 1,2,3 then award an extra bonus of 20 points to the total. It doesn't happen often. But it happened today.

I might trial it during the Giro, which is the next stage race on the PTP calendar.

I think you should try that retrospectively from beginning of the TDU!:laugh:

Top Bottom