Thoughts on a Round Europe Trip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Is this feasible or just crazy?:-

London-Aberdeen-Norway-Sweden-Finland-Estonia-Latvia-Lithuania-Belarus-Poland-Czech Republic-Austria-Italy-Ferry to Southern Spain-Spain-Belgium-Germany-Denmark-Netherlands-UK

Or should I look at just touring North America instead?

Time and/or money wouldn't be an issue

Definitely doable.

And if time and money aren't a problem, do both.

And in that case you might as well go the whole hog and include Asia, Australia, South/Central America and Africa.

Keep us informed.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Well I'm guesstimating total cycle distance at about 10k miles and was thinking of allowing 9 months total. That works out at 37 miles per day so should allow for rest days etc. I was thinking of just buggering off and making it up as I went along, the basic kit is straight forward and I can always buy anything I forget.

Biggest decision would be timing re weather and direction of route, maybe go anti clockwise taking in Southern Europe in the colder months and heading North as it warms up. I was thinking of a start date in Feb/Mar 2015 for anti clockwise and May/Jun for clockwise, just go for it and see how far I get?

Crankarm

Guru
But I wouldn't start until late Spring next year as winter in Norway, Sweden and Finland is cold :cold:.

Would you be planning riding to the Nord Kapp? Sounds like the makings of a great trip. Wild camping or credit card touring?

I would be tempted to do it in reverse start by heading south to Southern Spain, winter there, then as the seasons change next year head north. But you'll need to get a wriggle on to get passed the Pyrenees before the cold weather and snows arrive. That's my 2ps worth.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
That sounds absolutely fantastic. I know nothing about nearly all of your route but please make sure that you go to Amsterdam at the end of it. You can ride down the LF1 to the Hoek if you want. The Stena overnight ferry to Harwich is a wonderful way to come home.

xilios

Veteran
Wow if we had 9 months we would be heading for the northeast coast of America ride west to Washington state south to California than east to Florida.
This can be done in just about 9 months. And yes we've already checked it out :smile: its set for a future tour.
For Europe we would do clockwise, some Scandinavian countries then the Iron curtain trail south, as its a land climate and much colder, than work your way around to Spain which is a bit warmer. At least you'll finish in a warmer place.
Check out one of our favorite tours on CGOAB http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=Sh&doc_id=878&v=22N for inspiration.

And an awful lot of steep but beautiful fjords and hills in the way :hyper:.

Yeah, one or two small obstacles to conquer! :thumbsup:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQM-vc-Lc6Kl5-e9pqz_HbMR61pZLJL1D3LrjkCggvYGPsyHFV8.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOWkTbC_2DBqZ0lm_JDRxWM4zaDTUA1AQ5L8gFdemxh8WtJXVBJg.jpg

London-Aberdeen-Norway-Sweden-Finland-Estonia-Latvia-Lithuania-Belarus-Poland-Czech Republic-Austria-Italy-Ferry to Southern Spain-Spain-Belgium-Germany-Denmark-Netherlands-UK

doable? yes, I've done it.

England, Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, England, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Macedonia, Greece and Turkey...

We left our home on the 28th Feb 2011 to do exactly that. We were still getting sharp frosts in the Netherlands in May... but it was definitely worth while. Went up to Nordkapp and then across to Grense Jakobselv (Russian/Norwegain border on the Barent's Sea). Absolutely wonderful. Just go for it and enjoy yourself.

Go for it, Head up to the nordkapp, then follow the iron curtain trail south into Czech Republic

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

I know it is a ghastly, and horribly overused phrase, given as an excuse for all manner of recklessness and inappropriate behaviour but...

YOLO. (One of my best friends dropped dead a few weeks ago out on his bike - he had plenty of trips planned)

If time and money are not an issue JFDI!

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
People ride bikes round the World. Why do you need to ask if you can ride round Europe? I would have thought the answer was self evident.

Top Bottom