Thoughts on a Round Europe Trip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
People ride bikes round the World. Why do you need to ask if you can ride round Europe? I would have thought the answer was self evident.

just a general question and looking for feedback, useful links and information, if I tried to wade through every bike trip journal/book on the web it would take a lot longer than the trip itself. Of course I know it can be done just as I know there will be those on here that will provide invaluable information that I may not have gleaned otherwise.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

If you're riding yourself in, I would think a Northern route will be a lot tougher.

yep, was thinking that myself and yep would be riding myself in, so a more gentle start would make sense - it may all be pie in the sky but I'm not sure if I'll ever have the health and opportunity again....leaning towards @GrumpyGregry with the YOLO

@MacB don't underestimate how much land there is north of the UK. It will take a while to get up and back down with whatever route you follow and we were very late in the season coming south - everyone we met told us we had left it too late to cycle south from Grense Jakobselv (we left there around mid August!). We covered just under 14,000km in the 12 months we were out. Our average journey was 45 miles a day (for the days we cycled) and do not expect to cycle every single day. You will need to pace yourself and allow your body rest days. We aimed for a rest day once a week, but sometimes had to push for anything up to 11 days before we stopped. Even getting to the Artic circle felt like a major achievement and there was still an awful lot of land above there before Nordkapp.

If you ride up through the Netherlands, Germany, Denmark and into Sweden first you will have had plenty of time to get fit before you get to Norway... And Sweden has the advantage of being cheaper than Norway, one reason we (and many other tourers we met) stayed over there for so long before heading over the border just before Mo I Rana and the Artic Circle, and northern Norway is relatively flat (except for that beautiful last bit that has loads and loads of climbing before you get to Nordkapp despite Nordkapp only being at something like 300m!)

PS we set out from Elstead. not that far from you and Sussex was hard work! Norway felt easy by comparison!

Unless you particularly wanted to visit Finland (up through Norway, across into Sweden and down through Finland), you don't really need to go there as you can take a ferry from Kapellskär (90 kilometres north of Stockholm) to Paldiski in Estonia.

Unless you particularly wanted to visit Finland (up through Norway, across into Sweden and down through Finland), you don't really need to go there as you can take a ferry from Kapellskär (90 kilometres north of Stockholm) to Paldiski in Estonia.
I rather enjoyed Finland... directions were really easy. Follow this road for 2 days, when you get to the T junction, turn left and follow the road for 4 days. Navigation was a doddle but rather like Sweden I did get a touch fed up of straight roads and nothing but trees and more trees after a while.... but that was southern Finland, northern Finland was great and you got to see something other than trees that is! :whistle:

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

It's tricky getting it straight in my mind as I want to do it all but I don't want to do it in a 'tickbox' manner, just checking off the places. I'm actually starting to think a better idea would be two separate tours over two years, one for Northern and one for Southern Europe. I suppose it really comes down to how I feel about riding/camping in more severe conditions.

I suspect I'll end up treating it as a see how it goes exercise, just get going and let it develop.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Indeed, Finland is great for cycling, but given the OP's 'first' route, it's a lot of miles 'out of the way' IF he's going to do the rest of his proposed tour.

I think that'll be the key for me 'proposed', I'm not goal/target orientated so if I ended up cycling around Finland for 6 months, or any other part I really liked then it wouldn't bother me. There is no desire here to achieve anything in particular other than I would like to get up towards the arctic circle. Apart from that I'm just curious to see how I'd get on for a few months on a bike.

I think that'll be the key for me 'proposed', I'm not goal/target orientated so if I ended up cycling around Finland for 6 months, or any other part I really liked then it wouldn't bother me. There is no desire here to achieve anything in particular other than I would like to get up towards the arctic circle. Apart from that I'm just curious to see how I'd get on for a few months on a bike.

Doing two separate tours (north and south) would make a lot more sense, both in terms of quality over quantity, and time. At a rough guess, I reckon you could do each tour in about three months without having to worry about extreme temperatures or conditions.

Jimmy Doug (of CC fame) cycled from Paris to Oslo (stayed with us for two nights), then plodded up and on towards the Arctic Circle. I think his blog is in his sig. line.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

So a couple of questions of a more practical nature:-

1. Electronics - bike would be a dedicated tourer, rohloff/son combination - looked at the E-werk, PlugIII, B&M Luxus U, additional battery packs and so on. I think minimum would be a smartphone and Bluetooth keyboard - is it worth lugging a laptop or netbook? is a smartphone enough with some paper maps as backup or would a dedicated GPS be better? Or should it be GPS for travel and smartphone/keyboard or smartphone/netbook for evening?

2. Tents - are Hilleburg worth the dosh? would it be smarter to plan on two tents and change part way round? Stand alone or tunnel?

3. Borders/Papers - are there any countries on my list where a standard British Passport wouldn't suffice?

4. Front and rear panniers or rear only?

snorri

Legendary Member
, if I tried to wade through every bike trip journal/book on the web it would take a lot longer than the trip itself..
Precisely, and why would you want to load yourself with information so that you knew what to expect around every corner, it would take much of the excitement and interest out of the adventure.
Just make an outline plan and get on your bike. Bad things can happen to you anywhere, even if you stay at home, so what is there to lose?
The worst that is likely to happen is that you get bored and feel you want to come home, if you don't tell anyone how long you intend being away, you don't have to invent lame excuses for an earlier return. :smile:

So a couple of questions of a more practical nature:-

1. Electronics - bike would be a dedicated tourer, rohloff/son combination - looked at the E-werk, PlugIII, B&M Luxus U, additional battery packs and so on. I think minimum would be a smartphone and Bluetooth keyboard - is it worth lugging a laptop or netbook? is a smartphone enough with some paper maps as backup or would a dedicated GPS be better? Or should it be GPS for travel and smartphone/keyboard or smartphone/netbook for evening?

2. Tents - are Hilleburg worth the dosh? would it be smarter to plan on two tents and change part way round? Stand alone or tunnel?

3. Borders/Papers - are there any countries on my list where a standard British Passport wouldn't suffice?

4. Front and rear panniers or rear only?

Can't offer any advice on the first point as I'm not technical, although a GPS and iPad/notebook/smartphone should be a good combination.

A warm/comfortable sleeping bag and good sleeping mat are, IMO, of the utmost importance. I VERY much recommend an exped mat - a bit dear, but what price a good night's sleep every night?. Vango tents are good for the purpose, as are Hillebergs. Depends, I suppose, on your budget. Also, a 2-man tent, possibly a 3-man tent would be practical and cosy, although I'm not too sure about the extra weight. Style of tent depends on your personal preference.

British passport should suffice everywhere, although I'm not too sure about visas.

I've previously done two long tours and only had rear panniers, but in future I'll go for both front and rear.

Last edited:
Hilleberg tents are worth every penny of it and will serve you year round. We went tunnel and have had no issues.
Exped mat - I will second.

As for whether you take a laptop/netbook it is entirely up to you. We took a small 13inch laptop which was invaluable to us for keeping in contact with family (Skype) and updating our journal.

Belarus you will need a visa for... there are details on my journal (signature) on a page called Visas... it is expensive, very expensive to get a visa for Belarus.

Have a look at Voltaic Systems solar battery chargers. We are looking at getting on in the new year. Still haven't decided on 9W or 6W but I have seen them in action on other tourers this year and have heard nothing but good reports about them. We also have the SON28 hub and use it for USM charging with varied success... didn't go down the e-werks route. I prefer solar which works even in cloudy conditions.

Long tour and I mean long, multi month tours you should consider 4 panniers especially in less commonly travelled areas. You will find you need different kit and suddenly those tiny tubes of toothpaste, small bottles of shampoo and single sachets of washing powder are no longer economical. Neither of the smallest jars of coffee (just tip the coffee powder into a plastic bag to save the glass jar weight)... you will need to carry additional kit and not rely on finding a bike shop - so spare spokes, spoke key, eccentric bottom bracket tool, rohloff sprocket removal tool etc will all need to be carried. You will also need to consider sewing kits, repair kits for things like panniers getting holes, tent getting damaged accidentally, clothes getting very holely, waterproofs getting damaged etc.

We travelled using solely paper maps - most of them picked up free of charge... but that is a personal choice.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Hilleberg tents are worth every penny of it and will serve you year round. We went tunnel and have had no issues.
Exped mat - I will second.

As for whether you take a laptop/netbook it is entirely up to you. We took a small 13inch laptop which was invaluable to us for keeping in contact with family (Skype) and updating our journal.

Belarus you will need a visa for... there are details on my journal (signature) on a page called Visas... it is expensive, very expensive to get a visa for Belarus.

Have a look at Voltaic Systems solar battery chargers. We are looking at getting on in the new year. Still haven't decided on 9W or 6W but I have seen them in action on other tourers this year and have heard nothing but good reports about them. We also have the SON28 hub and use it for USM charging with varied success... didn't go down the e-werks route. I prefer solar which works even in cloudy conditions.

Long tour and I mean long, multi month tours you should consider 4 panniers especially in less commonly travelled areas. You will find you need different kit and suddenly those tiny tubes of toothpaste, small bottles of shampoo and single sachets of washing powder are no longer economical. Neither of the smallest jars of coffee (just tip the coffee powder into a plastic bag to save the glass jar weight)... you will need to carry additional kit and not rely on finding a bike shop - so spare spokes, spoke key, eccentric bottom bracket tool, rohloff sprocket removal tool etc will all need to be carried. You will also need to consider sewing kits, repair kits for things like panniers getting holes, tent getting damaged accidentally, clothes getting very holely, waterproofs getting damaged etc.

We travelled using solely paper maps - most of them picked up free of charge... but that is a personal choice.

Interesting on the solar charger, I'd had a skim of a few sites and sort of dismissed them, I see that they act as a cache battery as well. I'll need to spend a bit of time getting this aspect sorted. Despite my time on here I'm not a big social media user as a rule and my main source of entertainment would be reading. Thw wrost I could do is take too much and end up mailing some of it home.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
No offence to the Fins but Finland can be a bit dull, Sweden is lovely and Norway is fantastic, it needs to be money no object though as everything is a million pounds. You're a bastard anyway, mac, but now...

Top Bottom