Thoughts on first few weeks commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have been commuting for a couple of weeks now and I thought I would add some thoughts.

My commute is quite hardcore as I live on a hill about 1,200 feet higher than where I work (in Germany). nice ride in in the mornings (and means I don't get too sweaty) but tough on the way home. My commute is about 20km each way way with a mixture of road, bike paths and off road (about 8 km off -road)

Becasue of the off-road piece I am commuting on a hardtail MTB - quite a light one at 10,4 kg - but still not as quick as a road bike. I have changed the tyres from the standard fit knobblies and am now using Schwalbe marathon cross. Mostly these are good, a lot faster on the road and really no problem on the off-road. Recommended.

Total commute time is around two hours, so averaging around 20 kmh. The journey in is about 45 minutes and the journey home 1:15 which gives you some idea of the gradient.

Other changes have been to change the saddle on the bile - first one was torture just too hard.

I travel a lot with work so I am commuting when I can but I think the maximum will be 3 days a week (otherwise I am just too tired and I want to do my other "hobby" running on the off days) but realistically it will be 1-2 days.

My experiences so far have been very positive. I really look forward to the ride home and feel that my fitness is increasing a lot.

I have invested in some lights (hope vision 2 - "invest being the operative word!) and a rain jacket but so far I am only riding in the dry. Lets see if my resolve lasts until winter.
 
Sounds like an excellent commute! Welcome to the world of commuting.;)

It certainly sounds quite challenging, but it is sure to improve your fitness. Could you map it online and produce an elevation profile? This would do the trick.
 
Yeh exactly what others have said, nice one mate. Im new to commuting properly and love every step of the way, i actually arrive at work all sweaty but with a big smile on face.
 

mark i

Guru
I have been cycle commuting for 2 years now. I am a lot fitter and lighter! The first winter was a soul destroying by February, then the nights started getting lighter. This winter I quite enjoyed it, perhaps I had more robust clothing etc. The snow was fun, I may invest in studded tyres for this winter!
 
Top Bottom