Thoughts on my website if you can please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I just tried the site in Firefox 32 and it loads fine, without the blank screen I saw in Firefox 10 at work, and without the unreadable header font I saw in Internet Explorer at work. I doubt many people would be using Firefox 10, anyway. They won't update it at work for some stupid reason, even though they're normally pretty cluey about network security - it makes no sense!

AndyRM

XOXO
Some better formed thoughts:

Layout - I like it, but maybe consider having your central panel as a solid colour (or at least bump up the opacity) with images down the side, this would improve text legibility which isn't great on some pages. I'd also think about narrowing the central panel as your line length (more on that later) is very long.

Contrast - That yellow on blue is really tough to read. Keep the colours, but explore different tones. Collor is very useful.

Text - Keep the serif font for the headlines, but change the paragraph copy to sans serif - it will be much easier to read. And on line length, it's massive so tires the eyes. Smashing Magazine had a very good article on this here, in fact they're a very good resource in general (though probably overkill at this stage).

Pedantry - I hate those images that fly in from the side on a couple of pages, but that's just me.

RE: Speed, I think that's probably because it's a Wix thing. Do you know what sort of code it actually outputs, ie what you'll be putting onto your server? It seems a few folk have had browser issues which is not good - this is an international site which needs to work everywhere, and on as much as possible.

Hope all that makes sense and doesn't sound too harsh - you've made a really good start and with a few tweaks will have something neat. Happy to answer any other questions.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Although I'm not a web designer I find myself having to give advice on websites for non-UK clients. Their first attempts are invariably terrible. I was expecting yours to be similar but I have to say it is a really good attempt.

I'll let others comment on the fluffy stuffy on fonts, colour schemes etc. Approaching this from the perspective of a potential UK client I would make only one significant comment; the description of "Rolf" (is that you?) doesn't come across as well as it could. It makes Rolf sound like a bit of a tourist too, rather than someone with detailed personal knowledge of N Cyprus. That is the only thing on the website that would put me off booking with you

cd365

Guru
Well, one thing I noticed is that it won't load in Firefox 10, which is what I normally use at work. I loaded the page in Internet Explorer and it displayed properly. A lot of people prefer Firefox to Internet Explorer, so perhaps you could find a way to make it Firefox compatible? You could also try loading it in various other browsers, to see how they handle it.
Firefox 10 is way out of date, I've just updated to Firefox 33. Time to update for you!

AndyRM

XOXO
Firefox 10 is way out of date, I've just updated to Firefox 33. Time to update for you!

<rant>
Total aside (apologies) but the Firefox switch to rapid release was f*cking stupid. Sticking with their original release schedule, they're only really on version 14. They blatantly only did it to make it look like they had as many versions as Chrome.
</rant>

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
<rant>
Total aside (apologies) but the Firefox switch to rapid release was f*cking stupid. Sticking with their original release schedule, they're only really on version 14. They blatantly only did it to make it look like they had as many versions as Chrome.
</rant>
In which case, somebody still on Firefox 10 ought to switch to Firefox 33 '14'! :thumbsup:

Loads OK with some delay (probably the server) on my Linux based Chromium,Chrome and Firefox.

My only thoughts are that you need to get some SEO input earlier rather than later re title and content. There doesn't seem to be too much competition so it is not going to be too big a job.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Yes, I know that. I'm using Firefox 10 only at work (as I mentioned in a subsequent post), and I can't update it, because I don't have the necessary permissions on my work PC. Firefox is always up-to-date at home, though.

Top Bottom