Thoughts on rear light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
What's the best in terms of riding on unlit country roads - having bigger/more reflectors or having a really bright light? What is it that determines the distance that the light can be seen. The lumens or the lens?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What's the best in terms of riding on unlit country roads - having bigger/more reflectors or having a really bright light? What is it that determines the distance that the light can be seen. The lumens or the lens?
Bit of both: a lens can't turn lumens into lux if they're not there, but lumens are useless if they're vomited into space by a poor lens.

I think the biggest things influencing how far away you can see a light are primarily the illuminated area and secondly how brightly it's lit and thirdly how much road it lights up.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think in terms of being seen from behind, it's not the how lega bright it can be, some can be blinding, BUT only when viewed from directly behind (slightly off say only 5 degrees and they changed from offensive to pathetic).

On country roads the up/down and winding nature of them means that often the car isn't directly behind you, so something that has a bit of spread is good. I bought a Volt 50 after seeing it used and attracting my attention when I was a passenger in a car, and subsequently watching other cyclists with them.

PpPete

Legendary Member
This.
Smart Lunar R1 - £8 and 3 modes - Constant, Flashing and Group modes. Bargain
Brilliant little lights, as was the 1/2 watt version of the same shape - until they get any moisture in, which collects at the bottom and ultimately destroys the switch.
I'm hopeful that the Radial Cycles version - which puts the switch in the LED compartment rather than in the battery compartment may have greater longevity. The bracket is better than the Smart ones, it is a few mm longer, meaning that is seat-stray mounted you can angle them down more instead of dazzling the rider behind you.

ACS

Legendary Member
I have a very rural 11.5 mile commute (1 way) and have found Smart Lunar R2 to be idea for both day time and night time use. Unlike the R1 they do not suffer from water ingress. A set of 2x AAA rechargeables are good for about 10 hours use.

My only comment is the securing clips that hold the body of the light to the back casing is brittle when the lights have been out in temperatures below freezing.

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I have a very rural 11.5 mile commute (1 way) and have found Smart Lunar R2 to be idea for both day time and night time use. Unlike the R1 they do not suffer from water ingress. A set of 2x AAA rechargeables are good for about 10 hours use.

My only comment is the securing clips that hold the body of the light to the back casing is brittle when the lights have been out in temperatures below freezing.

I used to use these but stopped after losing a couple after they bounced out of the backing case. Also had problems with them getting wet and not turning off. (Cling flim over them helped with this)

potsy

Rambler
Don't mess about. B+M Relite D: AA batteries, legally sufficient and can replace your rear reflector to save post space.
https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/b--m-diode-backlight-relite-d/aid:50391

What does this mean, and why do you have to run it with specific batteries?

According to German road traffic regulations (StVZO), this lamp is only approved for road bikes under 11 kg when it is used with non-rechargeable batteries. When it is used with rechargeable batteries, this lamp is approved for all bikes.

simongt

Guru
What folk really need to do is to when choosing a rear lamp is to ride behind another cyclist who has said lamp fitted and see for themselves exactly how it functions; brightness, visibility at given distances etc.. I very much doubt if anyone actually does this as it's not uncommon for me to see rear lamps which cause me to squint because they are just TOO bright. I doubt if the respective rider is even aware of how bright it is at a distance because how many riders stand five or ten metres behind their bike to check the efficiency of the rear lamp - ? :whistle:

I got a cateye rapid x mini that serves me quite well
You mean this:

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/ca...-2-watt.html?gclid=CIjAg8eM6NACFRASGwodGXsLNA

?

great little light. No need to pay more. It's very visible. Runs off a single AA.

dim

What folk really need to do is to when choosing a rear lamp is to ride behind another cyclist who has said lamp fitted and see for themselves exactly how it functions; brightness, visibility at given distances etc.. I very much doubt if anyone actually does this as it's not uncommon for me to see rear lamps which cause me to squint because they are just TOO bright. I doubt if the respective rider is even aware of how bright it is at a distance because how many riders stand five or ten metres behind their bike to check the efficiency of the rear lamp - ? :whistle:

you are missing the point .... I'm not worried about the cyclist behind me, I'm very worried about the cars approaching from behind at high speed .... I travel on dark unlit roads

thats why I bought the cygolite hotshot .... you can see it from a mile away (plus I have a good blinky as a secondary backup)...

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cygolite-Ho...ht_85609.htm?gclid=CLrxiIKM6NACFde6GwodqUoOCg

there's a more expensive model that is a lot brighter:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B01KILFH5S/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
you are missing the point .... I'm not worried about the cyclist behind me, I'm very worried about the cars approaching from behind at high speed .... I travel on dark unlit roads

thats why I bought the cygolite hotshot .... you can see it from a mile away (plus I have a good blinky as a secondary backup)...

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cygolite-Ho...ht_85609.htm?gclid=CLrxiIKM6NACFde6GwodqUoOCg

there's a more expensive model that is a lot brighter:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B01KILFH5S/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new
No I agree with him. I don't see the point in blinding a driver, I still want him to be able to look in my direction and see me, not to look away from me because he doesn't want to look at my light. For example today I was using a string strong rear light but I had it angled down to shine on my pannier rack to produce a large red glow rather than to blind drivers.

[Edited my post this time]

Last edited:

dim

No I agree with him. I don't see the point in blinding a driver, I still want him to be able to look in my direction and see me, not to look away from me because he doesn't want to look at my light. For example today I was using a string strong rear light but I had it angled down to shine on my pannier rack to produce a large red glow rather than to blind drivers.

point taken ... you sound very considerate and a nice chap

however, here in Cambridge, cycling may be a little different to cycling in Bristol....

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
What does this mean, and why do you have to run it with specific batteries?

Not sure, although i am aware of regulations in Germany requiring any bike designed for road use weighing over 11kg to be fitted with lights.

That's why you will see lights on most German hybrids - called trekking or touring bikes over there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom