Thoughts on selling......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So I'm thinking of selling both my bikes and just wanted to see opinions on how best to sell if I do bite the bullet.

1). Obvious choice, advertise the complete bikes as is.

2). Part them out, more work but possibly higher returns.

My road bike is a 2010 Cannondale CAAD10 Dura Ace model. My MTB is a 2017 Marin Pine Mountain.

Both are in very good condition, mechanically sound and ready to go.

Any thoughts?

sheddy

Legendary Member
Keep one to ride

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
So I'm thinking of selling both my bikes and just wanted to see opinions on how best to sell if I do bite the bullet.

My road bike is a 2010 Cannondale CAAD10 Dura Ace model. My MTB is a 2017 Marin Pine Mountain.

Any thoughts?

Parting out is criminal in my mind

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me

Any thoughts?
Reasons for selling???

avsd

Guru
To answer the OP question - stripping and selling parts will generate more revenue and easier to post/deliver but also additional work and hassle. Check on ebay for prices of similar items to see if the gains outweigh the potential hassle.

All uphill

Still rolling along
My thoughts:

Life is too short to spend stripping a bike and then packing and selling the parts; there are just too many other things I'd rather do.

There is no joy or pride to be found in turning a great machine into a pile of parts.

I'm not sure the anticipated extra profit would materialise. Its very easy to be over optimistic.

In light of the above I'd need to be confident of a substantial premium for parting ( and I still wouldn't do it).

You need to buy another 🚴

PaulSB

Legendary Member

Any thoughts?
If you part them out I'd suggest it's a racing certainty you won't sell all the parts, the time to sell them will stretch in to months and you'll make endless frustrating trips to the post office. The one certain thing is you won't make a higher return.

How likely are you to sell a 12 year old seat post? Saddle? Bars? Possibly the wheels and frame will get more but I think you'll be left with a pile of bits.

Make two sales and the whole thing is over and done with quickly.

Are you giving up? If so think hard first, I've had days in recent months when I felt like doing the same. Then I came to my senses, for me it would have been a crazy move. I am being serious with this remark.

The parts from those bikes though functional are outdated. People prefer new parts and those who are frugal will take those parts but at much cheaper price. So not worth the effort.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
If its lost interest in cycling I fully understand. My own will to ride disappeared over a year ago and hasn't returned.
However, keep one of the bikes. Just in case you get a moment of lunacy when the bike screams "Ride me big boy!" These moments are rare, but the few times when I've given into her demands I've been rewarded handsomely.
I have thought about selling mine but shes just too pretty and I've spent too much time and effort building her to just offload her to someone else.
Trust me, there will be days when the road/trail beckons you for a good thrashing/pootle.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies. I've not ridden outside now in over 12 months, and I've got no desire whatsoever to ride on the road anymore, so I think the CAAD's days are numbered whatever happens.

I'm in no rush to make a decision, they're taking up space I could use, but not so much that it's a problem.

I'll probably park the idea for the time being, and I do agree @biggs682 it would break my heart to strip them, I'll think on it for now 👍

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks for the replies. I've not ridden outside now in over 12 months, and I've got no desire whatsoever to ride on the road anymore
I can understand you not wanting to cycle on the busy roads in Greater Manchester, but aren't you even slightly tempted by quieter roads such as those in the Ribble Valley?

(Taken on an unusually sunny February ride 3 years ago.)

Top Bottom